Subcue questions

Becky

Post   » Mon May 14, 2007 7:58 pm

Ditto on the butterfly infusion sets. They make a big difference, although Pinta is a pro with a needle and bag. Where are you in California? I also have lots of butterfly sets that hopefully I'll not need too soon. The vets charge an arm and a leg for them. If you plan to do this for any length of time, it'd be better to order them on line.

As soon as I put the needle in a pig, I start rubbing between their ears and eyes. I also put them in a cuddle cup and put the cuddle cup in a chair with the pig facing away from me as I kneel on the floor.

Part of the problem might be that your needle is too big. What's the gauge?

dragnsl

Post   » Mon May 14, 2007 9:47 pm

You can also get them at any medical supply store (and you don't need a prescription or anything). They are called scalp vein sets there. We got a box of 50 for really cheap.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Mon May 14, 2007 9:58 pm

Yes, I forgot... the cuddle cup is a great help! Becky, how could I forget!?

Yahoo that you got it in this morning! I found that going slowly with the fluids helped too. Massage and slow addition of the fluids. The vet tech just pushes it right in, but I didn't have success with that technique. Also, like Pinta said, sometimes the fluid bubble would be so hard it would just not grow. If I moved the needle out and in a little into a different spot, without removing the needle, that would help.

The whole process makes me a nervous wreck but I know the pig needs it.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 14, 2007 11:04 pm

She screamed before the needle went in and kept it up until I was done,
Are you warming the fluid first?

Zoe

Post   » Mon May 14, 2007 11:48 pm

Yes, I warm the fluids. I microwaved a very wet towel, then let the fluids rest on that for a bit. It works great.

I think she screams because she is a screamer. She makes me feel bad when I try to catch her in her cage, and when I try to find just the right place to grasp a little of her flesh to pull up. I try so hard to NOT scare her.

I'll have to get a proper cuddle cup.

The more I practice, the better it gets, but it's not fun for the poor practice pig. I am usually pretty good at being coordinated, firm and kind. Serena is different from my other pigs. She's more of a drama queen than the others. Makes me wonder about her early childhood before she was dumped at the shelter. She's a light strawberry blonde girl with a flat face and huge, please-don't-hurt-me, ruby red eyes. And she's definitely not alpha-pig material.

Becky: The needle size is 20x1A. Josephine is sending me some butterfly sets. If I like them, I may take or buy your extras. I live an hour or so south of you.

Or I can buy them without going through the vet?

Thanks for all the hints. Hopefully this might help others who are sent home with instructions to give subcues to their piggy like it's no big deal. I am glad my vet thinks I am capable, but it still hard for me, and I just know a LOT of other people must have trouble too.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 3:30 pm

I had to learn how to do a pig and a dog and both times a tech walked me through it. I watched and then did it myself. I would all people should ask for that so they aren't feeling left without instructions.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 4:48 pm

Got them mailed today. Hopefully, they'll only take a day or two.

Zoe

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 7:58 pm

Yeah! Thank you Josephine!

I am getting much better at doing this subcue thing, but I still hate it. I got her full doses in the last couple of times.

Serena does most of her screaming because I am grabbing at her skin. I know a lot of guinea pigs are drama queens, but she really does it well.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 8:04 pm

Fed her something at the time to distract her. I put a towel on the table and Mr. RS held Steve still so I could dispense the fluids. Butterfly needles should help quite a bit. Also, make sure the water is a comfortable warm, not just slightly warm. I tested on my wrist. Steve was much less happy when I didn't warm it enough.

Good luck with her.

Becky

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 8:19 pm

To my knowledge, you need an Rx to get needles in California, although I seem to recall Leebee having a source that didn't ask for an Rx.

It really was simple, though. I had Adobe fax the company an Rx and they keep it on file. Very simple, actually.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 8:34 pm

"The needle size is 20x1A ... "

I am not a med person but I'm going to guess that's 20-gauge. Too large IMHO. I'd try 23 (or 21 if there is a 21).

Zoe

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 12:16 am

Serena seems to be a little perkier than she was. I am actually getting the whole 30 mls. in now. I am not too worried for her health right now, just can't wait until I don't have to stab her anymore.

What size needles have other people used? The ones I've been using seem to work fine. It's pretty hard squeezing that plunger. If it was much smaller, I would think it would be harder in that way. But thinner seems friendlier.