Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

somechick

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 11:24 am

Same with me! NONE - ZERO of my pigs have tolerated Baytril or any of the drugs in that class, so why is it so hard for others to just believe that? Why on earth would I make that up? It's not like they give me Baytril, they do fine on it, and then I lie and say "nope, no improvement".

I just find the situation frustrating. Oh and yesterday, Dr. S said that chlor is "notorious" for causing inappetence. Ok so one doc says notorious and the others say most pigs tolerate it well. I'm pulling my hair out. :) I hope she does better too. I'll be checking in on her at lunchtime.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 12:48 pm

Henry is cute cute cute! She looked really good and ate pretty well at my house. I told somechick she likes to "eat out" at a restaurant. The food always tastes better!

I think for sure the drugs were too much for her and not necessary. While I think it's great she was sent home with the stuff they (Red Bank vets) should have said to use the stuff if she needed it. She clearly doesn't need it.

Teeth issues? If she were my pig I'd leave her alone while she is acting and eating normal. When and if she stops I'd explore that possibility again.

I'm just glad my vet came through for her. O:)

somechick

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 2:27 pm

Went home at lunch. She was standing in her pigloo. Not puffed, but not relaxing all sexy like normal. I don't know what standing means, if anything. No poops, but there was pee, which looks very yellow. But it doesn't smell weird or feel weird.

As soon as I got in the door and took her pigloo out, she moved around and started drinking, eating a small bit of pellets, and a strand or two of hay. I wonder why she only does this when I'm around. (I weighed the bowl so I know she didn't touch the food while I was out.)

She seems to squeek when she poops. Any ideas why this could be? Her poops are a little slimier than normal, maybe it's the drugs still in her system...

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 4:14 pm

Could be from inflammation. Zachary does this sometimes, too, when his gut gets out of whack and the poops aren't 100% normal.

somechick

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 4:33 pm

Do we think I should put her back on the Metacam? That's an anti-inflammatory, no? It said to give it to her 3-5 days post op and that time is over.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 5:05 pm

"She seems to squeek when she poops."

She needs 7 to 10 days to heal from surgery. It could be pain from the incision inside.

somechick

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 7:42 pm

Since she's doing a lot of sitting-in-her-pee, it's making her already chronic filthy bum even filthier. She's starting to pick at it, I guess in attempts to clean it, but it's beyond repair. I can't really bathe her and I don't want to anyway because she'd splash around furiously and I don't want to hurt her. Any quick ways to de-filth her bum?

Tonight is the same. Not worse, not better.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 8:21 pm

"Any quick ways to de-filth her bum?"

Try baby wipes. Unscented if you can possibly find them.

It's almost as if she wants someone around while she eats. I know you and bf already are, but try to spend as much time around her as possible. Not actually paying attention to her, necessarily, but just talking, working, sitting whatever in and around her neighborhood.

I'd also restart her Metacam, possibly at a 2/3 or 3/4 dose.

We have one that just loves it if we stand around and talk about politics, current affairs, stuff at work, whatever. He doesn't want us to necessarily pay attention to *him* -- just be around.

Sedlacek rocks. So does GPL!

Vicryl-Monocryl info

somechick

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 9:24 pm

She's right on our table so we're with her whenever we're not at work. She's definitely getting all our attention. We actually wonder if she wants us to go away since we torture her with feedings all night.

One last thing -- she's pooping and peeing. A LOT. At odd times too. Mid-feeding, while walking. It's almost like she can't control her bladder/pooper. Why would she poop while we're holding her? She also never used to pee on me. Why is she now? There's loads of poop. We just fed her and she pooped 13 times while being held. I just don't know if this is normal/okay. Is this some side effect of the surgery? Are we pressing on her and she's losing control of her pooper?

I did give her the Metacam tonight. She was squeeling when pooping - but only sometimes. I guess some poops are worse than others.

Oh and she's laying down a lot too, but I guess this is to be expected?

Edit: thanks sef. Thanks everyone for your help through this.
Last edited by somechick on Tue May 15, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 9:24 pm

My guys are all sending "eat some food, sweetie" vibes tonight.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 10:25 pm

"Is this some side effect of the surgery?"

I'm going to take a guess, yes.

A spay is highly invasive. They have to dig through and separate various and sundry muscles and organs to get to what needs to be removed or worked on.

I suspect some of those muscles and organ systems are either 1) still sore or 2) not yet quite fully recovered in the muscular-control and muscular-strength department.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 1:27 am

Suzi was enormously incontinent after her re-spay.