Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

somechick

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 9:24 pm

She's right on our table so we're with her whenever we're not at work. She's definitely getting all our attention. We actually wonder if she wants us to go away since we torture her with feedings all night.

One last thing -- she's pooping and peeing. A LOT. At odd times too. Mid-feeding, while walking. It's almost like she can't control her bladder/pooper. Why would she poop while we're holding her? She also never used to pee on me. Why is she now? There's loads of poop. We just fed her and she pooped 13 times while being held. I just don't know if this is normal/okay. Is this some side effect of the surgery? Are we pressing on her and she's losing control of her pooper?

I did give her the Metacam tonight. She was squeeling when pooping - but only sometimes. I guess some poops are worse than others.

Oh and she's laying down a lot too, but I guess this is to be expected?

Edit: thanks sef. Thanks everyone for your help through this.
Last edited by somechick on Tue May 15, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sef1268

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 9:24 pm

My guys are all sending "eat some food, sweetie" vibes tonight.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 10:25 pm

"Is this some side effect of the surgery?"

I'm going to take a guess, yes.

A spay is highly invasive. They have to dig through and separate various and sundry muscles and organs to get to what needs to be removed or worked on.

I suspect some of those muscles and organ systems are either 1) still sore or 2) not yet quite fully recovered in the muscular-control and muscular-strength department.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 1:27 am

Suzi was enormously incontinent after her re-spay.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 8:12 am

Phew okay. Not that I'm anti-poop, it's just an odd thing to see poos falling everywhere.

Again, this morning no food was eaten and there were no poops in the cage. At breakfast, she ate some of her veggies and some hay. She got spayed on May 10th, so today is day 6 post-op. I'm not sure if my experience is in line with others. Was hoping she'd be a lil better by now, eating-wise. Still not sure what to think, if she's still recovering, if it IS teeth, if it's something else entirely. Who knows. Here's a photo of the incision, since you guys seem to know more than anyone else out there. What do you think?

Extreme close-up
Last edited by somechick on Wed May 16, 2007 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

CapuPebbles

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 8:13 am

I have been keeping up with your thread but have been very busy with school and work. Sorry that I haven't kept in touch. I am so sorry of what you are going through. I don't understand why Dr. Strunk and Dr. Brown contradict each other with their opinions. I am very dissapointed.

I hope she gets well soon. My thoughts are with you and H. Nugget.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 8:17 am

Hi Capu! I figured you were busy, that's okay.

My main complaint about Strunk/Brown is that they're not listening to my AB concerns and when I asked Brown about it she said "my advice is not to worry about it". That rubbed me wrong. And when I told Strunk that H-nug was puffy, she said that was normal. Um, really? But I feel that for the spay itself, the surgeons there seem to be pretty good.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 12:30 pm

Henry looks okay to me but I have to say the incision looks different than when I saw her the other day. There was no redness or blood and it looks like there is now.

So, she may be moving around too much. I'd leave her alone in a small cage area to heal. My guess is that is why she squeaks sometimes when she poops.

If she were my pig I'd also put some neosporin (antibiotic cream) along the incision to play it safe.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Maybe it was the lighting there or on my camera but the look of the incision hasn't changed since the day I brought her home. That's not to say that there isn't something going on here, but it's been consistent.

Dr. S said she looked and felt fine and so did the Red Bank vets, but at this point I put more trust in you guys.

Won't she lick off the neosporin?

Also the only time I pick her up is to feed her, and there is a LOT of squirming and fighting, but I don't know what else to do. I have to feed her. Otherwise she's in a 2x2 cage, her pigloo is in the middle so she doesn't have to move far. But she also rarely leaves the pigloo, so she's not moving anyway.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 1:22 pm

Okay, if the incision is the same then nothing has happened.

I don't think she would lick off the neosporin but if you're not comfortable then don't do it.

Maybe you can try wrapping her in a towel as soon as you lift her out to feed her so that she can't squirm too much?

somechick

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 1:39 pm

Yeah, been there done that! :) The towel equals more squirm because she can duck inside of it and reek havoc. She's a nightmare. She doesn't understand that if she would just eat, we wouldn't have to do this. We're trying to be as gentle as possible, but I'm afraid we're not.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 3:56 pm

The incision looks fine from that pic. I wouldn't touch it.

pinta

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 5:27 pm

If our pigs like the slurry mix they don't have to be held to eat. We just offer and they accept it. Sometimes we slip it in the side of the mouth and tho they may not be impressed they still accept it.

Part of the problem of handfeeding could be her annoyance at being held.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 6:28 pm

I wish Suzi had had incisions that nice! A little staining seems to be normal. Compare to Cuddles, 3 days post-op:

(Cuddles had no suture reactions or AB intolerance and healed up like a champ. That seems to be rare among my pigs.)

Doom's neck incision:

Now, compare to Suzi's incision from hell:

I would definitely not put neosporin on any incision the pig can reach to lick. The belly is a normal place to clean, so it would be awful if she started feeling better and cleaning only to get a belly full of neosporin.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 7:18 pm

See looking at your top pic, salana, I would think that looks better than Henry's. To me Henry's looks more like Suzi's with some of the weird colors going on in there.

Pinta - when I make the pellet slurry, it's too chunky and then won't come out of the syringe tip. I soak the pellets for an hour and make it more watery than the critical care, but it just doesn't work for me. Tips?

She takes the pellet slurry better, but not willingly, so there's still some fight. I'm sure she's annoyed that I'm holding her. I would be too.

So what do we think, guys? If she doesn't start eating on her own 2 weeks post op, we go in and do the teeth? She is moving around some now, visiting the hay, water bottle, and pellet bowl, but she doesn't stay long. So it's either upset tummy or she can only eat a little because her teeth hurt. No idea anymore.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 8:12 pm

Hey, Salana and somechick, can I add this to the thread? I could also add a link to this thread for more incision pics (in the guide where I have Snowflake's pics posted, in case you want to look at more photos).

I think the incision looks pretty good too.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 8:21 pm

Try microwaving the pellets. Are you using Oxbow or KM? I found that Oxbow could be nuked for 30 seconds and be almost perfect, but KMs need to soak for a while (like, at least 30 minutes) and then be nuked for 60 seconds.

Are you adding anything for flavor? Baby food, natural applesauce, 100% fruit/veggie juice, Odwalla juice, canned pumpkin? You can experiment and see if she likes anything. Einy liked the organic Gerber baby foods especially, like the apple mango kiwi and the other one with mangoes, the strawberry, and the blueberry. He didn't like squash much, but Patrick, Erin's lethal, loved butternut squash. Flavorings should be a small amount, but they can really help a pig who hates her slurry or CC. Try something she normally likes, whether it's apples, strawberries, carrots, etc. You can get all kinds of crazy juice combinations nowadays, so if she goes crazy for cherries, get some cherry Juicy Juice and stir in a little.

The only part of the incision that reminds me of Suzi's incision is the area around the top stain. That seems a little bit wider than the rest of the incision. Although it could just be blood matted in the hair, which is okay and nothing to worry about. The rest of it looks pretty good.

Lynx, of course you can add the photos.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 8:29 pm

Sure you can add the photos. I'll try to get more once more healing goes on and there's a visible difference. For the record that photo is taken 6 days post-op. I'd like a link too because it's nice to have photos to compare against.

I'm using oxbow. I have adult and baby pellets here, just in case she'd eat any of them. They're soaking now for the last feeding, I'll try to microwave them a bit too. I've added Odwalla juice, Piggie loved this stuff, Henry does not. She seems to not like fruits in general - no love for cantaloupe, watermelon, or apples really.

She really loves dill. I saw some dill spread/paste in the veggie section. Could I use that? I guess I could also quite easily chop up some dill, it's very fine anyway. I'll attempt that tonight too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 8:34 pm

DaCourt's vegetable puree

Add dill.

Also try Odwalla carrot juice (the pure carrot juice, no fruit added). Ours go nuts over the stuff.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 8:35 pm

I don't know what's in the dill spread. But you could probably chop it up and add it, and the smell of dill would certainly perfume the pellet mash.

566 posts