Subcue questions

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 10:18 am

You've seen www.guinealynx.info/subcue.html ? I think Josephine mentioned 30cc 2X a day as max.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 10:56 am

I did see that -- which is why I wondered about the 10cc's my vet advised me to give once daily. It seemed low, but now I understand that the higher "max dose" would be appropriate for kidney pigs.

I got a packet of 22 gauge needles yesterday to use instead of the 20's I was given, but something happened this morning during the subcue. Sebastian went absolutely ballistic screaming and flailing, and then kept doing a sort of "hiccup" afterwards when I stopped. What the heck did I do wrong??? No blood that I could see, but I ran him over to the vet in a panic. He seemed fine again by the time we got there. Does it sound like I jabbed a nerve (this was at his neck scruff), or do you think he just got too worked up? Vet said the site looked fine, and she listened to his heart and checked reflexes. It scared the living crap out of me. She gave him another 10cc's and he was perfectly cooperative. Even though she assured me I did it correctly, I'm still worried that I did something wrong.

I had warmed the solution first, and it felt fine. The needle was labeled 22-gauge/1 inch, but after I compared it to the 20-gauge/1 inch needles the vet had given me, it actually looked longer. Could it have been too long? Should I switch to a 3/4" length?

I was nervous about giving subcues before, but this certainly didn't boost my confidence at all.

Zoe

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 4:37 pm

I am still convinced that I am doing something really mean to Serena. She complains a lot. The butterfly sets and 22 gauge needle really improved things for me, but I can still tell she doesn't like being stabbed and pumped with fluids.

I give 30 cc's, but a few times, I just gave her 20.

I am glad my thread was hijacked. I like to hear what other people are going through with this subcue business. It seems so unnatural to pump such a huge amount of anything into such a small animal, especially when they scream!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 8:14 pm

My husband said, after this morning's episode, that he will NOT help me with subcues again.

Just as well, I guess. He made me even more nervous.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 9:03 pm

What I would really like to do is to be able to videotape someone doing subcues. I think it would be very helpful to people. Wonder if I can find anyone in Virginia who can do it..

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 9:24 pm

YES! That would be fantastic. It could show how to tell if a pig is dehydrated; how to rig up the butterfly catheter; how to warm up the solution; how to pull up the skin with two fingers and find that elusive "tent" that they all talk about; some of the things that can go wrong (might want to use a stuffed animal for that part); etc.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 9:32 pm

I DO have a stuffed animal. Actually, that's all I have right now. Not sure it would work for what I have in mind.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 10:17 pm

Would CaveSpringPiggie consider it? We could have an auction to pay her something for it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 23, 2007 10:19 pm

She is precisely the person I was thinking of. No idea if she would be willing to do so but now I have a camera that can take closeup movies and would love to start putting together some crucial videos (some things are best viewed in motion, not with simple pics). I think I can add sound later (too hard to do it all at once).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Is there a reason why a needle marked 1" would be longer than another needle (from another manufacturer) marked 1"? Only difference is that one is a 20 gauge, and the other is a 22. The 20 gauge is shorter, for some strange reason.

?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 24, 2007 7:30 pm

I'm gonna take a truly WAG and say that one measures from the tip of the needle to the base, while the other measures from the tip of the needle opening (down on the slant) to the base.

Real WAG there.

pinta

Post   » Fri May 25, 2007 1:45 am

I shake the syringe with fluid after warming to make sure there are no hot spots or cold spots.

Too warm fluid causes them to go ballistic as well as too cool fluid. It should be body temperature and tested the same way you test the temp of a baby's bottle - inner wrist.

You may have hit a nerve or the needle may have been jabbing the skin from the inside.