Scooter has lost weight

DaCourt

Post   » Sun May 13, 2007 10:44 pm

Question...is it normal for them to drop weught right after their teeth done? Scooter had been putting on weight with the hand feeding. I weighed him last night before I went to bed and he had actually lost weight. I have continued to hand feed, and he has put a little back on. Just wondering if that is normal.

I have been following Leslie's thread as well, since her pig is going through the same thing. I mixed a little baby food in with the mash and that seemed to help a little. Watermellon has not been successful. However, strawberries have proven to be a bit easier. I have been trying to feed smaller amounts more often. I guess timing is everything, as I was recently laid off work, so I have the time to hand feed him frequently.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Mon May 14, 2007 12:04 am

Poop on being laid off, but it must have been so you can take care of Scooter. Hopefully, he's on the mend now. I think other folks have written about weight loss after tooth work, but I won't swear to it.

DaCourt

Post   » Mon May 14, 2007 11:46 am

OK...thanks.

I tried something new last night. I pureed the veggies with a little water and then added the rest of the CC mash that he was refusing to eat. He absolutely loved it. I couldn't fill the syringe fast enough.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 15, 2007 7:35 pm

Woohoo! Good news, and a good feeding tip. I'm gonna remember that one.

"Question...is it normal for them to drop weight right after their teeth done?"

Yes. Ideally they won't, and some don't, but in my experience (and reading here), many (if not most) do.

My empathy and understanding on the layoff. Best of luck and good wishes in finding something new.

DaCourt

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 1:15 am

Thanks for the well wishes.

How quickly should they be putting the eight back on? What is a normal rate of weight gain?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 4:56 pm

Varies dramatically by pig. Probably slower the older they get.

+-10 or 15 g a day, with some fluctuation, would make me very happy if he were my pig. He may never regain all 150 g. Then again, he may and then some more.

leslie0210

Post   » Wed May 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Aww Dana, I'm so glad to hear Scooter's teeth issues were resolved so much better than Krysmas' were, so I wish him a long and healthy, happy life. Tell him to eat a little extra of everything for Krysmas, okay? And thanks for your advice and support the other day.

DaCourt

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 7:13 pm

Still having problems. He was holding his own for a while and putting on a little weight. I went out of town last weekend and left him with another volunteer from the rescue. She said he ate constantly even though she did hand feed. He came home and was fine. He continued to eat on his own and gained weight the first 2 days I was home. I had discontinued hand feeding.

Then 3 days ago he started dropping again. He is now below 900 grams. This is a pig that was usually around 1200 grams or more. I have resumed hand feeding, even though he does eat on his own. I have moved him to a cage by himself so I can monitor exactly how much he is eating. His breathing sounds fine and his eyes and nose are clear. I am at a loss right now. I have an appointment for him Tuesday afternoon. His is pooping and peeing without any evidence of discomfort. I am at a loss for what to do for him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 8:55 pm

I wish you the best.

DaCourt

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 8:58 pm

There has been so much sadness lately that I am very worried. Last night I woke up to find Courtney sitting on a chair in front of the cage sound asleep. I asked her this morning, and she said she had a bad dream about him and woke up. She wanted to watch him for a while and fell asleep. Broke my heart.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 9:43 pm

Has Dr. R checked his heart recently?

DaCourt

Post   » Sun May 27, 2007 10:44 pm

No. I have an appointment on Tuesday and that was one of the things I was going to ask him to check. It is the only thing I can think of besides URI.