Scooter has lost weight

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 1:28 am

Tooth problems can be a continuous cycle, unfortunately. That's not to say that there's not something else going on as well, but unfortunately, when their teeth get overgrown, they don't eat well. Then when you have them trimmed, they're sore on top of used to eating being painful, so they still don't eat well. Not eating well causes the teeth to become overgrown. Catch-22.

I do worry that something else could be going on too, though. I hope Scooter does OK until you get to the vet and they can figure out what's going on.

DaCourt

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 1:36 am

It was suggested to me tonight that I call the vet in the morning and ask if they can fit Scooter in between surgeries. The Dr. is in surgery until 2:00. So I am going to call and let them know the situation has become critical.

chii...is it possible for the teeth to become overgrown again in just 2 weeks? He was eating on his own about 4 days after.

poppypiggy

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 5:08 am

I believe it is - if the pig doesn't eat enough. At least this vet site http://www.avivet.no/alasivu.php?s=2&leiska=1&navi=2
(in Norwegian, unfortunately) says that piggie teeth grow 3 - 5 mm/week, so even if he has been eating some, it might not have been enough to wear the teeth properly.

I hope the vet visit today will put Scooter back on the recovery track!

milly
Supporting the Bored

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 6:16 am

Good luck with Scooter. Hope all goes well at the vets.

EllieMom

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 6:27 pm

Any word on little Scooter?

Dale197922

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 6:39 pm

Hey DaCourt you stole my pigies name. Well actually i may have stole your piggys name. Anyhow im glad to read that your pig is doing good just wanted to let you know thats my pigs name also.

DaCourt

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 8:07 pm

Just got back from the vet. We got the xrays done. Let's just say, they suprised Dr. R so much that he had 2 of the other vets come in and look at them too.

When he was doing the examination, he said his bet was on URI and heart, or both. He asked if there was any signs of pain when he peed or pooped. Just then Scooter peed and pooped on him without a sound being made. He said, well, that's a no. I told him that one of the things that crossed my mind was stones. He asked if there was ever any discharge or blood. I told him no. When I had put him in a cage by himself for those 2 days, I put dark fleece in for the 1st day (discharge) and light fleece the 2nd day (blood). I never saw anything.

So we were all surprised to see two large, pee sized stones in the xray. Not only that, but there is also a sack which has about 5 tiny little stones. He was very surprised he did not feel the 2 large ones, especially because of how think Scooter is. The other 2 vets held Scooter, felt for the stones, and could not feel them either. They are very high up. The sack is lower.

He wants to get some weight on Scooter before he operates. He is afraid he won't survive the surgery if he does it now. So, he is is back on Metacam and is also on Baytril. Yesterday, we aslo started him on poop soup with vit. B, acidophilus, and aluminum hydroxide. He is slowly getting a little of his appetite back. He is scheduled for next Tuesday to have them removed. I have to call Dr. R every 2 days to give him a progress report on his weight.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 8:38 pm

Glad you got some answers. I don't think palpation is reliable either. And if you are being too vigorous, you can injure the bladder. Trying to locate ovarian cysts by palpation can miss them.

I think the pain on peeing is often because stones are in the urethra itself.

cavykatie

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 8:40 pm

Sorry, I missed this thread originally. Sad to hear Scooter is having problems, hopefully recovery will be fast!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Ah - I thought you might find stones. In my experience drastic weight loss often seems to indicate them.

I do hope you can get him strong enough for the surgery.

What's the aluminum hydroxide for? (I'm not familiar with it).

Keeping my fingeres crossed here.

DaCourt

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 9:02 pm

Honestly, Mum...I am not sure. Nikki told me to get it for him. She uses it with her pigs. We figured out he had started losing weight after he wnet off metacam, so she thought he migh tbe having upset stomach. It is one of the active ingredients in products like Mylanta.

EDIT: Just found this link

http://www.gianteagle.com/healthnotes/D ... roxide.htm

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 9:21 pm

You think the metacam dulled the pain for a temporary time? Once it wore off, the stones were hurting and caused him to stop eating?

The AH can be helpful for pigs with kidney problems, and does something to excess calcium.

Good luck.