Scooter has lost weight

DaCourt

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 9:42 pm

Not sure Sus...just somthing Nikki was tossing around. She asked me when he went off the Metacam and when he started dropping weight. Just so happened his weight started dropping after he went off of it. He had dropped weight right after his teeth were done and was down to about 850. Over the next week he got as high as 965. He went off the Metecam on Tuesday, and that is when he started to drop again.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Is there a reason he isn't back on the metacam?

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 11:28 pm

So glad that you have an answer for his weight loss. My thoughts will be with him to gain weight and be strong for the surgery.

DaCourt

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 12:18 am

He is back on Metacam. But now I have a question.

I was asked tonight about the shape of the stones and the location. They are perfectly round and a pretty good size. It was mentioned that because of the shape of these stones, along with the size and quantity of the smaller ones, that this is not a good sign.

I don't know enough about how stones form so I want to get everyone's opinion. I was told that this probably means he is in kidney failure, and that is may not be in his best interest to put him through the ordeal of surgery. Of course, I want to do what is best for Scooter, and not just for me. I don't want to put him through more than his small little body can handle. Dr. R is always very optimistic and I am sure in mind Scooter will be ok. But if we remove the stones, and if he is able to get all of them, then what? Am I just tormenting Scooter and causing him mroe pain in the long run?

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 12:27 am

Poor Scooter. But at least you know what the problem is.

I would do the surgery.

All three of mine have had various surgeries, but not for stones.

In each case it improved their quality of life. Lightning lived almost a year and a half and VERY well after his abscess surgery.

Pandora has done very well almost seventeen months after her spay and Pippin is better than ever almost two years after he had his tummy lump removed.

DaCourt

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 12:33 am

It's not the surgery that concerns me. It is what is causing the stones in the first place. This touched a nerve with someone in OCCH because it was very similar to one of our rescues that had the same perfectly round stones and the same cluster of small ones. He did not make it through the night. He was in full blown kidney failure. I just don't want to have the surgery because it is what I want. I want to be as kind as possible to Scooter.

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 12:57 am

It doesn't appear there is an easy answer for this. If he perks up now and puts on weight perhaps the surgery will go well for him. But it seems that certain types of stones usually come back, and it will be an issue you'll face again.

However, if this was happening to one of my pigs I would see if he improves enough for surgery, to give him a chance in case it's a one-time thing. And maybe with a special diet and other meds the stones could be held at bay.

But I know it's a tough decision to make.

DaCourt

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 1:03 am

His diet has been very consistant. All he gets it Romain, red leaf, green leaf, cilantro, bell pepper and endive. Occasionally, he gets butter lettuce.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 5:29 am

I think a urinalysis could determine if he is in kidney failure.

Also, if you have the surgery you might want to have Dr. R contact Michelle Hawkins and arrange to send her the stones. She is doing a bladder stone study and would be able to analyze them the give you information on them.

Michelle Hawkins, VMD Dipl. ABVP (Avian Practice)
Assistant Professor
Companion Avian and Exotic Pet Service
(530) 752-1363
mghawkins@ucdavis.edu

Topaz

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 9:14 am

I think you'll have to go with your gut on this one. It's not an easy decision. I like the idea of waiting to see how he looks in a few days so you can feel confident he's strong enough for the surgery.

I'm sorry, I don't have any good advice for you but I'll definitely be thinking of you and Scooter.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 10:56 am

I'm sorry to hear about Scooter's troubles. I am glad that you got some answers.

I would also see how he looks in a few days and go from there. We're thinking of you.

DaCourt

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 10:27 pm

He has gained a little weight and is eating a little more on his own. However, is more inactive that he was before, which I don't understand.