Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

somechick

Post   » Sat May 26, 2007 1:21 pm

Well Henry isn't gassy, and I didn't see Sanford's x-rays (boyfriend had to take her) but when I go back down with Henry I could ask to see what a "cecum in the way" x-ray and a "cecum moved out of the way" x-ray looks like.

I've been told I'm going to hear on Monday from Dr. D's colleague about his findings. He told boyfriend that he has more luck on weekends. I still don't know that I think it's teeth, I mean, she eats fine when she eats. I don't know. We'll see.

I might just chock up the extra $70 and pay for another x-ray, just for fun.

somechick

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 3:53 pm

Today when I was feeding Henry, we noticed (obviously her stitches) a thread about an inch long sticking from her belly. I thought these things were to dissolve? I snipped it, but should I contact the vet, or is this normal?

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 4:38 pm

I've seen this with dissolving stitches many times. I think that sometimes they just work their way out before they have time to dissolve. (I think it's a natural thing, kind of like having a splinter work it's way out.) If the wound looks healed, I think it's probably OK to cut off any excess suture material that's sticking out, just don't pull on it or anything. If anything starts looking odd, though, I would contact your vet.

Edited to clarify-- when I say cut off any excess, I mean only things like what you described where a long piece is hanging and not holding anything.

somechick

Post   » Tue May 29, 2007 8:38 pm

I'm going to call the vet this week anyway to see if he got any info off the forums and to get the results on Sanford's pee.

I guess maybe I'll ask about another body x-ray? She's still not eating properly (but ate a critterberry tonight so I really don't think it's teeth), she's still squeaking while going potty (seems to have increased in my opinion), and it's been long enough for that to stop, I'd think. Her surgery was May 10th. What on earth could this be? At nearly 3 weeks, I would think the abdominal pressure for going to the bathroom would have been gone by now.

pinta

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 12:49 am

When my pigs have rejected sutures, they've expelled them outwards. Sometimes the vet has had to go in to take the remaining ones out.

I would wonder if her problem is suture rejection and there is an infection going on under the healed skin.

I have no idea how it can be checked without reopening her. Ultrasound?

somechick

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 8:04 am

No idea. I guess it's just as good of a possibility as anything else at this point. But wouldn't there be more signs of infection then? She's not puffy or lethargic. I don't know. I could have a US done next Tuesday at my vet.

I'm torn here. If I go back to Red Bank they'll still push to do the teeth and they'll cost me more money than I have. And I don't know that I trust them too much. But they are the ones who did the spay so they might know something. Ugh!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 11:18 am

Is the thread sticking out soft or stiff like wire and is it very small?

This happened to Sophie and I was told to leave it alone if it wasn't bothering her which it wasn't. Hers was from the internal stitches, not the external. The vet snipped it off as close as possible.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 11:29 am

Best way to describe it is that it's like fishing line.

Thin, teeny, clear, bendable, but not soft like a blanket and not stiff like wire you'd hang a picture with. Hah! I can't even answer a simple question :).

pinta

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 5:16 pm

All I can tell you is my experience with my pig.

No swelling, perfectly healed incison site. The only sign of a problem was her lethargy, lack of appetite despite being hydrated and general looking like she felt ill.

When her eyes became dull and receded I pushed the vet to open her up to find the cause. Nothing to lose - she was clearly dying. I had already put her on an AB when she first started looking poorly.

The vet agreed when she saw how her condition had deteriorated. Turned out the entire line of interior sutures had been rejected and there was an infection running the full length of the spay interior inciosion. 3-4". The pus was well sealed in by the beautifully healed exterior incision.

Another AB was added in(she ended up on Baytril and Doxy) and she was given a 50/50 prognosis. My vet said if she made it thru the next 48 hours, she would probably survive.

She made it. The vet felt it was the first AB I put her on(Baytril, I think) that saved her life. It gave her a tiny edge on the infection.

It is important to note the exterior incison site was perfect. I think we had to go back in about 2 weeks after the initial spay.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 5:33 pm

Cuddles had a 4" piece of clear suture come out of the end of her incision, and was just fine. I wouldn't say it was a 100% sign of rejection. Definitely keep an eye on her, duh, you're going to do that anyway.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Yeah. It seems like pinta's piggie *looked* like she was going downhill. I don't have the same feeling with Henry...yet. The "only" thing wrong is not eating and squeaking while going potty. But she's mobile, not lethargic, etc.

Either way, I'll be in talks with Dr. D's colleague sometime this week anyhow. There needs to be an end in sight.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 6:42 pm

Suzi had a post-re-spay UTI. Is Henry on Bactrim?

somechick

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 7:32 pm

Henry was on Bactrim but is now off since it's been the allotted time. When I talk to the vet and ask him to humor me with a body x-ray for stones, I'll have a urinalysis done too.

somechick

Post   » Wed May 30, 2007 7:59 pm

Photos, 20 days post-op:

Close-up:

sef1268

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 9:10 am

And just mentioning that, if I remember correctly, Henry was having inappetence prior to the spay.

Hope you can get some answers, SC. I know how worrying this has been.

somechick

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 11:37 am

True, sef. She does pick at her food and eats it when she picks, but it's just not enough to sustain weight.

But (once again, since I like to teeter on the issue), I don't know how it can be teeth OR neuro/muscular. She will sit there and not eat pellets, but once the critterberry bag emerges, she's all over it. It's not like her teeth/muscles work for a critterberry and not pellets at the same time of day.

somechick

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:39 pm

I have HAD IT! Not only did Dr. D never call me back, but I have called her colleague FOUR times, three days in a row and he has not called me back.

It's been over a WEEK since Sanford went in for a urinalysis and I still don't have the results and I was supposed to get info on Monday about what he found about Henry on the board!

I know it's not the receptionists fault because I keep getting the same one and she keeps telling me she gives him the messages. I know I can't just yell at whoever picks up the phone but this is STUPID! I told her that if he doesn't want to pick up the phone, someone else needs to because I'm entitled to the results of the urine tests (at the very least).

What can I do short of driving down there and throwing a tantrum in the middle of the floor?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:11 pm

That stinks. I'd be mad too. How about asking that receptionist if she can find out from the vet why you don't have the results. Ask if she can do it while you're on hold if he still can't come to the phone. At least maybe she can get you some info instead of leaving you hanging.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:20 pm

SC, I know exactly how you feel! I'm still waiting for the vet to effing call me back and tell me about the gross necropsy for Ashes (which is why I haven't posted about it)!

sef1268

Post   » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:32 pm

Absolutely ridiculous. Any luck today, SC?

566 posts