Lulu's Lump

crazypiggie247
The Herd Of Wonders

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:01 pm

Yes, right now in the house I have 9 pigs. 7 are mine and 2 are fosters.

I have a ton of 1ml syringes that I had ordered from the Little Piggie Marketplace to put in my piggie medical box. So I got those covered. I can do the cup thing too (that's a great idea) only I'll put them on my kitchen table. We never seem to use it to eat on anyways.

About how long should the ABs be given? Would it be 7-14 days or maybe longer? It doesn't matter how long, I'll do anything to get my babies back to tip top shape.

Since I will be treating all 9 pigs with ABs, do you think it's still necessary to quarantine the 4 with lumps in another room?

After the ABs are being given for a few days should I notice the lumps decreasing at all?

crazypiggie247
The Herd Of Wonders

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:51 pm

I spoke with my vet on the phone a little while ago. She is going to give me enough ABs to treat all of my pigs.

I'm going to have her look at the 4 with lumps but 2 of them have very small ones.

I'll post what she says when I get back a little after 6pm.

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:12 pm

I don't see any reason to quarantine them now. They have all been exposed to CL by now, but I may be wrong there.

The vet will tell you the dosage and how long to give the AB's. It may take a week before the lumps go down, then it might even take longer for the lumps to disappear.

crazypiggie247
The Herd Of Wonders

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:30 pm

So, I'm back from the vet.

I got ABs for everyone and she lanced the lumps on the 4 girls necks to help the ABs heal them a little better. She explained that the walls of a large abcesse can be very think on a guinea pig and that by lancing them and keeping them draining, it will help the ABs break trough to the bacteria.

She agreed that it didn't really matter to quarantine anymore since everyone is being treated and has been exposed.

The 2 month old triplets are on Smz-tmp (Bactrim I believe). They get .2cc twice a day for 14 days

The adults are getting both Smz-tmp and Baytril twice a day for 14 days.

The bigger adults are getting .3cc of each and Izzy, who is a little smaller, is getting .25cc.

We shall begin tonight at 8:30 and keep chugging along.

Any recommendations on good ways to keep the abcesses clean besides warm water and a wash cloth?

I'm going to vacuum my fleece every day in their cage to make sure there's no yucky bacteria any where.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:45 pm

I hope the bactrim is effective for you. It's a drug that is pretty well tolerated (few pigs get inappetance on it). Monitor the lanced lumps. You may need to flush them to let them heal properly.

See the antiseptic solutions page in the guide.

crazypiggie247
The Herd Of Wonders

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:50 pm

Thanks Lynx. I hope the Bactrim works out okay. I have had a couple of the pigs on it before so I'm hopeful it will be tolerated and will be effective in the treatment.

I'll go right over and check out the antiseptic page. Thanks!

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:23 pm

Sounds like a good vet. Were you there when the abcesses were lanced? The pus is cottage cheezy isn't it? yucky.

Keep an eye on the area to see if the pus builds up again. Usually it doesn't come back once it has been lanced.

You will be an expert on CL soon. You will soon be saying that "it went through my herd but all are fine and healthy today" just as I can say.

Soon you'll be replying to threads about CL because you will become a resident expert.

You are on the home stretch now. It will seem like a long time but in a few weeks all will be fine.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:48 pm

'm going to vacuum my fleece every day in their cage to make sure there's no yucky bacteria any where.
Bad idea. You'll just spread it everywhere.

You'll do much better to flip off the top layer of fleece each day and wash it.

Sorry you're having to deal with this!

crazypiggie247
The Herd Of Wonders

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:25 am

Barbara: I wasn't there when they were lanced but Izzy's had already ruptured and when the vet examined her she squeezed it to see if there was anymore and it spurted all over the table! Yuck, I won't be eating cottage cheese and pineapple any time soon. She rinsed all 4 of them out with antiseptic afterwards.

Mum: That makes sense. I actually had laid a towel down over the fleece last night since they had just been lanced. Do you think if I keep remove that and put a clean one down every day that would be the same as taking the top layer of fleece off?

I only ask because my fleece is actually a big pad that I sewed together. It's one layer of fleece and 2 layers of terry cloth underneath it. Very absorbent but I haven't been able to get some more fleece to make a full second set of pads yet. I have one right now but need a couple more to have a full set.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:19 am

Yes, a towel or whatever is fine. Just remove the top layer each day and replace with a clean one.

Also be sure to use bleach and water to clean the water bottles.

crazypiggie247
The Herd Of Wonders

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:15 am

Yep, I did that to all the water bottles yesterday. Is that something that would be good to do once a day or every other day?

crazypiggie247
The Herd Of Wonders

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Everyone seems to be doing really good so far. I am weighing them in the morning and in the evening before giving them their meds.

I am using Barbara's idea of the cups and I am preparing the morning meds at night so I don't have to draw them up in the morning.

Appetite's seem to be good and no one is losing any weight and they are still diving into their veggies as normal.

The abcesses are looking good as well. I have been cleaning them up and they look like they are getting smaller and healing well. There's not much puss at all any more.

Just wanted to give an update and thank everyone for their help.
We shall continue on the AB grind for the next 13 days and I'll keep you updated as we go.