Can you remove metal ear tags?

dragnsl

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:25 pm

A new pig came into rescue with one of those horrible metal ear tags clipped into his ear and I would prefer him to not have it.

He probably does not notice it but I do and I think it is awful and it makes me think of tagging cows for slaughter or something.

Therefore, if it can be safely removed, I would like to. What do you think?

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:37 pm

We had a pig who was found with one of those tags. The vet was able to remove it with wire cutters or needle nose pliers, or maybe both (I forget what exactly she used). It was definitely NOT a one person job, and I would leave it to the professionals.

I was worried about Graham getting a toe caught on it or fighting with someone else and getting it caught. He hated the removing process, but didn't seem phased with or without it. I still have the tag somewhere. If I recall correctly, he was pig #36 from somewhere. Graham was found running wild in a local park and we suspect he may have been a lab pig whom someone "liberated."

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:45 pm

What about gently handling the tag with your fingers to see if it's loose like an earing or if the tissue has grown around it. If it's loose, you could probably get it out with some rubbing alcohol, pliers, and wire cutters but if it feels very firm, I'd get him into the vet. He probably needs a checkup anyhow yes?

dragnsl

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:54 pm

Was Graham an albino pig?

I was also under the impression that if it was to be entered in a show it had to be tagged. That would also beg the question why a show pig was running around a park wild, but that was my first thought was "show pig" for some reason. Hmmm, interesting.

Although my Bennett is an albino so I suppose lab pig is possible. You can't even see Bennett's number. The number part is the part that is actually penetrating his ear so it either rotated or they screwed it up!

Next trip into Andy's I will bring Bennett in and see if he can get the darn thing off. Poor little buddy...

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:03 pm

Oh dear, are you asking for a lashing?

Albino pig? My my. It's PEW, pink eyed white, unless you're really masochistic and enjoy being verbally lashed by GLers.

Tags are used for shows but I can see how research labs would use them as well. Tattoos are also utilized.

Depending on how recent the piercing was (it really is an ear piercing), you may want to keep it clean with a cotton swab and alcohol until he gets into the vet.

dragnsl

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:04 pm

It does have some crustiness around it like you know, how their ears get that waxy, crusty buildup, like that stuck in it. It does not appear to be overgrown with tissue though so it should be easy for Andy, my vet, to fix it.

Bennett may not like the whole process but who really likes going to the vet anyway? Well, my dogs do but they get cookies at the vet.

They need to keep pig snacks at the vet! Ohhhh! I need to suggest that! I am there often enough I think I could pull that off even LOL Plus snacks like carrots are good for the overweight dogs who cannot have cookies! Oh! This is going to work out well and my piggies will be very pleased!

The things I can get excited about you know? Sad, really...

dragnsl

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:05 pm

OH! PEW! I had no idea! Please forgive me! I did always wonder what that meant.

What is the difference?? Bennett is really my only PEW. All of my others have been pink-eyed but not necessarily white...

Most labs nowadays are actually switching to microchips for ease of use. Well, I should qualify that as the bigger labs I guess so most may not be accurate. Less mistakes are made and therefore it is more cost effective.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:19 pm

There's no such thing as an albino guinea pig. They're called PEWs - pink eyed whites.

Albino individuals have health issues. PEWs are totally normal. It's a coloring.

dragnsl

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:27 pm

Ohhhh. So is an albino a lethal? Or are those also different?

This is interesting. As I said, Bennett is my first so this is new to me, please excuse my flub.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:33 pm

There are no albino guinea pigs - that includes lethals.

Either way, albinos aren't blind - they just lack certain pigments; lethals are blind: https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#congenital

Zoe

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:33 am

I struggled to remove a metal ear tag from Petunia with wire cutters. It was a mess. I finally figured out that I couldn't do it the obvious way. It was natural to want to cut it like a ribbon. Then, I cut it edge to edge, and it cut part way through, and then opened up and came off.

I hope that made sense.

You do need to be careful. Petunia twitched while I was trying to clamp down hard on this thing and she bled. I couldn't hold her head and ear still, while also using all my strength to squeeze the wire cutters. At least her ear didn't rip. That's when I tried cutting it the opposite of how you'd think and it didn't take so much effort.

Petunia was rescued from a little girl who showed pigs. Poor thing was considered a reject when she developed a tiny cowlick. Think of how many pigs are bred and rejected in order to get it just right. Makes me sick.

Sonaa

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:28 am

Oh Zoe !! Poor Petunia. I just can't believe some people. They really don't see guinea pigs as living beings, but more like possessions, like a lamp or something.