suspected hyperthyroidism- T3 and T4 norms needed asap

Maja

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:26 am

I'm looking for some input for a friend's pig. The pig is 5,5 months old and very skinny inspite of a great diet the girl is feeding her (the pig is 350 grams I think). The pig is suspected with hyperthyroidism, but the vet never drained blood. Would she get accurate T3 and T4 results if she drained blood from an overclipped toenail?
She's on no medication for her hyperthyroidism (if that's what it is).

Yesterday the pig started having labored breathing. She's crashing either with URI or heart failure.

I hope the vet is going to do some blood work. I tried to find norms for T3 and T4 here, but no luck so far! Please, those of you who have or had pigs with hyperthyroidism post norms for T3 and T4!

Another thing that comes to my mind is diabetes, it would also explain her extremely low weight and weak immune system. Any other ideas?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:10 am

Take a look at the skinny t-4 levels sticky in this forum. I searched all over and could not find what I was looking for but think there are others who have posted t-4 levels.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:39 am

My 6 year old pig Scooby was hyperthyroid. She was losing weight although we were feeding her 70 grams of Critical Care a day. Her vet had trouble getting reliable T3 and T4 levels, but we ruled out everything else and used the standards for treating hyperthyroid cats. Scooby responded to methimazole. which works very slowly. We increased her dose very slowly over a period of months until her weight stabilized. Then she was OK for about 9 months, although her T3 and T4 levels were still high. I'm sorry I do not have the numbers.

Scooby's final medical crisis was a "thyroid storm", which may be happening to your friend's cavy. The thyroid rapidly releases so much hormone that her temperature and heart rate shot up. Again, the vet used the protocol for treating cats when this happens (different medications from methimazole). Scooby did respond to this treatment. Although we put her down--she probably had a thyroid tumor--it appears that the well-understood standard treatment for cats does work in cavies as well.

I hope this helps your friend's pet. I am sorry I cannot provide more specific medical information.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:50 am

Blood was obtained from toenail overclips for both T4 tests I had done. I'm pretty sure I posted the results in the T4 thread - both pigs were normal.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:39 pm

As far as I know NO ONE has done further thyroid testing other than a T4. At least if they have, they sure as heck haven't posted here.

pinta

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:33 pm

Our skinnies with suspected hyperthyroidsim were also on heart meds - vetmedin and Fortekor - along with the methimazole. One died of massive heart failure after probably 2 years on meds and the other died of Septacemia(sp?) due to her crap immune system. We have no idea how she ended up with a systemic infection.

My vet monitored their heart rates after they went on the fortekor and there was a definite improvement. They went on methimazole after being on Fortekor when their heart rates started creeping up and the weight started coming off.

Do a blood test for diabetes and consider fortekor/lotensin to help bring down the heart rate.

Maja

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:14 pm

The pig (Pahuljica=snowflake) is on enrofloksacin and furosemid (lasix) from today because of her labored breathing. Her breathing is improving slowly, hopefully she'll make it through. I'll try to get her vet to come on here and read this. The vet is going to do an ultrasound of her heart tomorrow. Hopefully they'll do a blood work after Pahuljica gets stabilized.

I'm still confused about T4 norms, I've read the whole post about skinnies and still can't say what's normal. Bellow 20? 15?

pinta

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:19 pm

Can't help you on American T-4 levels. Canada uses a diff measuring system.

Please try to get your pig on Lotensin/Fortekor. This drug will take the load off the heart. Lasix only gets rid of fluid.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:40 am

You have to figure out what units are used in your country. I would assume Serbia and most of Europe to be consistent with Canada over the US.

I second pinta's suggestion of adding the ACE-inhibitor for the heart on top of the antibiotic and diuretic your pig is currently taking.

Maja

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:20 am

It's not my pig, the owner is from Croatia, she doesn't speak english, I was looking for advice for her pig, not mine.

All I can do is give them advice and hope her vet wil come on here and read this. But I don't wanna bore or pressure anyone.

If it were my pig I'd probably put it on ACE inh. and require blood work to be done long time ago...

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:08 pm

I'm sorry I missed that part. I would assume Croatia to be included in the statement I made regarding Europe, though.

Maja

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:25 pm

Just a quick update for all of you who offered advice. Apparently, Pahuljica is not having an URI, but heart failure. She's now on lasix + enalapril (benazepril is not available) + enrofloksacin. Lasix and enalapril seems to help, but it's still critical.

I've read many heart stories during my time on GL, but oh my god, this is really extreme. My guess is some really bad congenital defect. I still wonder what kind of heart defect causes such a poor condition at so young age??