Ca/PH ratio food calculator

maremma

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:13 pm

Can someone please help me to make sure I understand the calculator properly?

I read in a post in the medical section that said romaine lettuce is high in calcium.

When I look at the calculator under the CA/PH ratio column it says romaine is 0.8.

At the bottom of the page it says we want 1.33 or higher. Is the 1 not the calcium and .33 the phosphorus?

Are we not trying to get the numbers to go say 1.66 or 1.80 etc? The higher the second number the better as long as it doesn't cause the first one to go to 2 right?

If the numbers would say 2.68 that would be to much calcium wouldn't it?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:35 pm

On the Ca:P page, the calcium to phosphorus ratio for romaine is .8:1. This is almost the inverse of what the "ideal" is, which is 2:1 (calcium higher than phosphorus). Hence, the issue is not so much that romaine is "high" in calcium, but rather that the ratio of calcium to phosphorus is somewhat off.

Many people with sludge pigs report problems feeding romaine in larger amounts for that reason.

I've had to eliminate it entirely from our guys' diet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:38 pm

I think you do understand the calculator properly. According to it, romaine has a reasonable ratio.

I do not know why but when I used to feed my pigs a bunch of romaine (I had a big supply of it on occasion), I noticed lots more calcium/powdery pee being passed. I think other people have had the same experience. So I don't know if this means it is processed differently or what. I just found when I fed more grass and less romaine, the pee was more clear.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:42 pm

Hey, I like Sef's explanation better. Go with that.

maremma

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:49 pm

Well hopefully I can find something to replace the romaine in Sweetpea's diet as it is one of the very few things she can tolerate but I am not going to let any of the others have any of it anymore.

As for the rest of it I am glad to know I have not been doing that part backwards.

Thank you for reassuring me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:56 pm

I don't think you have to pull it out entirely. Just use it sparingly and try to balance the ph.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:16 pm

Right. Balance and moderation are the key. Not all pigs have problems with romaine. Mine do. These days, I give them a base of endive, green leaf, red leaf, and Boston lettuces, and they seem to have fewer issues with sludge.