hooing / hooting piggie (video) ...

pigaroo

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:17 pm

Very recently I've noticed a "hooing" sound coming from my piggie Chestnut. The other time I heard her do it weeks ago, she seemed content and happy because she was eating something delicious then too. This time she hooed for about 5 minutes while eating the usual breakfast of Romaine lettuce, and later while chasing PJ around. Then while eating hay she coughed ... and the hooing stopped.

Here are 2 video clips, you may have to turn up the volume. (By the way, sorry for the poopies in the cage, this was before cleanup time and I just grabbed the camera quickly.)

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb11 ... ettuce.flv

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb11 ... ttuce6.flv

Does anyone else's pig do this? My husband was in the room with them while I was preparing the lettuce in the kitchen on the other end of the house and he said P.J. (my loudmouth girl) was wheeking and Chestnut was hooing.

Could it be that Chestnut has a very subdued voice and this may be her way of sqeaking/grunting? My P.J. has a strong voice and squeaks, grunts, whines, wheeks, chutttles, coos, etc. With the exception of a faint chirping sound a couple of times, I had never heard a peep out of Chestnut until the middle of May (2 months after I got her). Now occasionally she'll make a few faint squeaks during lap time or while running up or down the ramp, and the other day was the first time I heard her rumble when I slid my hand down her back to her bum. This hooing is also a new sound. What does this owl-like piggie noise mean?

Here's some background info:

Chestnut is approximately 5-6 months old and frequently runs laps around the large cage, runs up and down the ramp all day long, etc. She is more laid back than PJ, letting me reach into the cage to pet her on the head while eating, she takes naps, and really relaxes during lap time. But she (like PJ) is hard to catch when I try to pick her up for lap time. She stares off into space frequently, sometimes I catch her staring at the wall (it's orange if that makes any difference). She'll snap out of that trance about 2 seconds after I start petting her or speaking to her. She delivered a litter of 4 premature stillborn piglets on March 18th (6 days after I got her). She weighed 18 ounces when I got her, the next week after delivery she weighed 16 ounces. I weighed her every other week and she always gained weight, a range of .7 oz to 3 oz between weighings. On 5/28 she lost .4 oz (less than half an ounce) so I started weighing the piggies weekly from then on and she gained 1.2 ounces the following week and .9 ounces the next week. Tomorrow is another weighing. Her appetite is excellent.

I would appreciate any input any experienced piggie parents can offer!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:34 pm

Hmm, I can't get it to play right (can't here the noise). It may be a temporary throat obstruction and may mean nothing. I don't know. Weigh your pig daily any time you suspect any type of illness. Watch for any other indications your pig may be ill.

Read over www.guinealynx.info/heart.html for future reference.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:01 pm

I did hear it (turn your volume WAY up Lynx) and my pigs made that noise once. I'd definitely call it hooting but Mum will know for sure next time she's on. My vet wasn't too concerned with a single isolated incidence without any other indicators of heart problems but told me to keep a close eye.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:19 am

Hard to say when they're eating.

My pigs that hoot, if it's not really loud, tend to do it in the morning. If my house wasn't really quiet I wouldn't hear it.

If one of the pigs continues to hoot like this I'd get an xray of the heart and lungs:

https://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:18 am

rshevin, the movie did not play so no chance of listening to the sound.

pigaroo

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:34 am

When you guys say it won't play, do you mean you can see video but can't hear sound, or are you not seeing the video load at all? Maybe try going directly into my album at http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb11 ... -squeakers and then click on the "videos" link to get to that page. Please let me know if you're still having trouble.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:07 am

I can't get the site to load at the moment. Before, it just didn't load.

maremma

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:17 pm

I could not hear her hooting in the first one but I could the second.

Please take her to the vet now. Do not wait till it gets worse or you see other signs. Insist on an xray of her heart and lungs. If the vet says her lungs are clear and there is no fluid around her heart and even if he says her heart itself "doesn't look bad" you want that baseline xray asap.

Even if her heart is "slightly enlarged" or "slightly irregular" shaped. The vet may still be reluctant to give her the heart meds she needs. You absolutly want that baseline xray to help you get her the meds sooner rather than later when the poor baby has alreayd had a heart attack or is in heart failure.

If she remains the same and shows no signs whatso ever of anything amiss still take her back in 3-4 months and have a second xray done for comparison. Of course if she gets worse take her sooner.

I am fast becoming well educated on guinea pig heart conditions symptoms. Sadly by personal eperience with my own babies.

My Max has had all kinds of health issues ever since I rescued him. I had a full body xray done on him in January to look for anything at all that could be amiss. His heart was "slightly enlarged" and the vet didn't want to put him on lotensin because she wasn't convinced his symptoms were related to his heat.

I almost lost him a few weeks ago. His heart continued to enlarge because it was even bigger on second check, he developed fluid in his lungs and around his heart, it was beating twice as fast as his brother Peanuts and we are almost certain he had a heart attack. I am still thanking God he survived and is still with me but I am heartbroken he had to go through this at all.

I think if I did not already have Lovebugs heart meds here to give him immediatley I would have lost him before I could get him to the vets even. His heart was still beating that fast with several doses of meds in him.

If only I could have convinced the vet in January that he needed the lotensin he wouldn't have had to suffer all this. Most vets don't seem to grasp how frequently guinea pigs have heart problems and it has cost so many of them their lives.

MAx going into crisis has made my vet more aware and careful. We now also have Sweetpea on heart meds because her heart was slightly irregular shape and on second xray was a bit larger than her first.

If a vet sees a slightly enlarged heart on one xray and it is even further enlarged on the next, that is hard to ignore and makes it more likely to get them to cooperate and give the baby meds BEFORE crisis hits them.