Diablo's Medical Thread

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:22 pm

Glad about the weight gain, sorry about the other problems.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Just got back from a follow-up visit.

Diablo's doing well, maintaining a weight of 880G. His eye is healing well, but he's still not blinking. I will probably stop giving him the Meloxicam soon, as I don't think he's in any pain. Plus, one less thing to struggle to shove down his throat. Dr. Crum said I might need to continue with the Baytril for 3-4 weeks, probably until his head tilt is reduced.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:42 am

Good Boy, Diablo!

emjay

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:38 am

Ow i hope he gets better!!!!!!

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:43 pm

He will. Dr. Crum is the best.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Just an update and a quick question.

Diablo is doing absolutely wonderful! He is maintaining weight (though he is still too skinny, in my opinion), and is very happy and healthy. He has moved in with Elsie, and they get along really well. I'm amazed that she hasn't even nipped at him once since they've lived together. Before, she has made him bleed on several occasions. It's a relief that she's being nice now, because I'm always worried about D's eye. If she nipped him near his eye, he'd be unable to close his eye to protect it, and I really doubt that he'd enjoy another corneal ulcer.

And, quick question. I've gone through almost two tubes of the AB ointment for D's eye, and this stuff is pretty expensive. I know that Brandilynn used Vaseline for Laz's eye, would it be okay for Diablo? After all, his eye is not cut, infection or injured in any way, it just needs to stay moist.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:39 am

He looked great at the pignic!

Even though his "sister" outweighs him ;)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:10 am

I don't know about vaseline, but I used to use Puralube ointment for Spot. I think the problem with the vaseline might be that it's not sterile - but check with somebody like Josephine.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:24 pm

Thanks, Mum! I will try that. Is it avaliable at a normal drug store?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:47 pm

I got mine from the vet. You can probably get it at a petstore - I think it's for veterinary use (non prescription).

Or maybe I ordered it from Calvet?

I forget!

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:46 pm

I've noticed that for quite a while, Diablo has had very cold feet. They feel like ice, very clammy. It can't be his environment, since he shares a cage with Elsie, who has nice warm feet (and the cutest ankles you will ever see!) He has no other symptoms that would indicate him being a heart pig. The only odd thing about him is that he is still pretty skinny. He's not losing weight, though, even when he's not given Critical Care.

Could this potentially be an indicator of an issue, or am I just paranoid?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:48 pm

Poor circulation maybe?

Has he been checked for heart issues? If not, I'd get an xray of his heart done, if you can manage it.