A Wink and a Wheek

Acanoffleas

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:44 am

I'm starting this thread a bit late in the game, but I figured now is as good a time as any since we're about to add to the "herd!"

About a year and a half ago, the husband and I really had an urge to welcome a pet into our lives. We had a goldfish, and he was really cool and all...but, well, you know. He didn't really like to come out of the tank very much to play and cuddle. Cats and dogs were out of the equation because we rented. So we thought about it...and thought. One day it just dawned on me, HEY. Why not a guinea pig?

Long story short, we picked up Bear and Mo from pet stores around Staten Island (I know, I know...but hey. Lesson learned! Both boys had to be treated for URI's and lice). Nearly two years later, and in a different state (Yay PA!), we're all living happily together. One goldfish, two piggies, one recently adopted cat. And two giddy humans.

Dan with Bear and Mo:

Dan with Bear and Mo...again:

Me and Bear having quality pillow time:

Mo hanging out with Snaggletooth with a little help from Mom. Don't worry, no pigs or dinosaur busts were harmed in the making of this photo:

More pictures to come...I don't want to overdo it. :)

Acanoffleas

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:05 pm

The boys have been very helpful around the house, too.

Bear helps with fridge control, i.e. eating most of the lettuce to make room for more lettuce. And carrots.

Mo helps with laundry. Here he's showing off his haircut and his tolerance to dad's stinky socks.

Mo also tries to help mom get dad out of bed.

Bear holds down the pillow. They both love that red pillow. I'm really not sure why...

Of course, we also get a fair share of attitude from them as well:

Though, the whole point of me starting this thread was to celebrate the arrival of our new piggies! We're adopting from Furry Friends rescue based out of NJ. Their names are Mortar and Brick:

More to come later, hopefully as our new cage progresses!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:33 pm

Oh, Bear and Mo are very cute! Mo has great spiky hair, and I love Bear's little red patch on his back end.

Happy New Home, Mortar and Brick! You are both adorable. :)

cat22woman

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:29 pm

How adorable! I love that picture of Mo trying to get him out of bed!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:32 pm

Mo and Bear are so cute.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:11 pm

Mo and Bear are so cute, and I love names, Mortar and Brick. :)
*grins*
I cannot wait to see their new cage, I love seeing cage pictures.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:19 pm

Makes me wonder if Mortar and Brick are somehow related to Wattle and Daub! (both are construction methods)

Cute pictures Acanoffleas. I love the title.

Acanoffleas

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Thanks guys! I was a little nervous about doing this...simply because I've lurked for so long and seen all the wonderful things you all have posted. The boys will be thrilled to hear your compliments!

Mortar and Brick will be coming home on Sunday. Everyone is really excited. Especially the cat. *wink*

Tammy

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:38 pm

Oh cute! MOre pictures please!

Justified

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:33 am

Love the pictures! They are adorable. More! More!

Acanoffleas

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:55 am

While Mo is older than Bear, it seems that Bear is the "grumpy old man" of the two. Mo likes to instigate between them, and is also more of an explorer, whereas Bear prefers to sit, eat, and burrow into the nearest hiding spot. (please excuse the crazy roof on the cage...it was made in haste for when we adopted the cat, thus why we're building another cage)

Bear is my lil' grumper.

And for the sake of not playing favorites, here is the cat, Shadow, who we've discovered likes to play and eat any hay that falls on the floor:

Acanoffleas

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:07 am

Here are the first few pictures of the cage as it's progressing. We built the first cage referring to Guinea Pig Cages.com, but Dan wanted to use lumber and cubes, as we had problems tracking down coroplast. It ended up working out pretty well. So when we decided it was time to expand and upgrade, we opted to use similar materials. We went with Aspen lumber, and a variety of caging materials (outdoor caging rolls from hardware store, cubes from the old cage, and closet shelving for roofs).

At the moment, we're working primarily on the first half. It's going to be double the size of the first, which was 2 x 4 feet plus a 2nd level. Side one is the same size as the first cage. Side two is currently hinging against the floor (it's hinged so it can break apart for easier transport), and will have legs once we get most of the 1st half built.

Day 2 of Cage Building Extravaganza (note the cat's tail in the far left corner. He's such a helper...RIIIIGHT)

I took this picture this morning. We got the second level on last night. If you look, you can see a little cut out where the ramp will be leading up to. We also opted to use peg board for the back, as in the first cage we had a blanket wrapped around the back b/c they liked the "cavern" feel. The pegboard will allow for better ventilation and easier cleaning.

Day 3 of Cage Building Extravaganza

Most of the roofing and siding of the 2nd half of the cage will be able to swing out/open for cleaning and pig-napping access. It's nice having a husband who's such a handyman. :)