A Wink and a Wheek

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:24 am

How cute! I absoutely love your captions, especially the little songs. I was singing right along with them. :-)

Your cage is looking good. I would suggest still making a choroplast bottom because the lumber will absorb pee and smells and such, but it's looking very spiffy.

Acanoffleas

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:36 am

Yeah, the first cage we used linoleum squares as a barrier, and that worked relatively well. We're going to try using a polyurethane coating as a base to see how that holds up. I'm skeptical...we'll see.

gpgrandma
Supporter in '07

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:39 am

Cute story and cuter piggies! Keep up the great work!
This is my "entertainment" between patients at work (sshh...don't tell.)

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:16 pm

I'd like the linoleum better than polyurethane because I wouldnt want the pigs to chew the poly but that's just me.

Acanoffleas

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:44 pm

Yep, Rshevin, it's in the back of my mind too. :) We've had the boys in their current cage for a year and a half, and they don't chew on it. That was an initial concern for me, and I was relieved to see that they weren't interested in it. But still, it's something we'll be keeping an eye on. I'm more concerned about the poly not holding up to the pee. I've heard stories (I work in real estate) of people having pets that peed on their wooden floors that permanently were stained. I've talked about it with the husband, and he's all about giving it a try. If anything, it'll help the life of the cage last longer, even if we end up putting another layer of *something* in there as a base.

EllieMom

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:00 pm

LOVE your pictures. :)

Topaz

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:23 am

Great story and pictures Acanoffleas! Love the captions. I got quite a chuckle out of a few of them...such foul-mouthed demanding piggies you have! *chuckle*

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:40 am

Oooh, another set of talking piggies! : )

Fossil Barb

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:11 pm

I love the Chronicles because there are so many wonderful and talented writers here and so many cute pictures.

These stories would be so great on a disc to give to grandchildren (and to grandmas too) to learn about piggies. Great job everyone.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:38 pm

What a bunch of cutie pie pigs. I'm looking forward to seeing them moving into their new home. It's looking pretty cool. But I would second the lino or some other waterproof barrier. Have they met Brick and Mortar? Will you try to house them together?

Acanoffleas

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:00 pm

No, the boys haven't met their new brothers yet. I'll be taking them along on Sunday (they love their carrier...so silly). The goal is to eventually house them together. We'll see how it goes...

Acanoffleas

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:50 am

We trekked to New Jersey yesterday to Have-A-Heart Guinea Pig Rescue to pick up Brick and Mortar. The day before I suckered my managers at Petsmart (I work in the grooming salon) into donating some supplies. Overall, I took a big ol' bag of Aspen, hay, some toys and treats, a big bag of oranges, peppers, and two containers of spring mix lettuce along with us. Oh, and Mo and Bear came along, too.

I meant to take pictures during the introductions, but I completely forgot my camera in the car. It went really well! Brick, the smooth white and blonde, seems to be a bit pushy and anxious to lead the group. And of course Bear isn't having it. Luckily my two old men are pretty laid back and let Brick sniff, mount, and chatter his little heart out, but put him in his place when it got out of hand. Mortar is the runt of the group and is more intent on keeping out of the drama. I think they'll all do well together.

Here are some pictures of the new boys with mom:

Mortar and Mom

Brick and Mom

The boys are in a temporary cage right now until the current cage gets some finishing touches. It should be ready for pigs by this evening. Here it is nearly complete. All we need to add is the side and front caging and to attach the roof: