Maxolon Dosage?

Piggielove

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:17 pm

My guinea pig Jake who's almost 5, had on operation on wednesday to remove a stone. Before Jake's operation his tum was going into stasis and I wasn't sure if he would get through the operation.

Thankfully Jake came through the operation but I'm so worried about his digestive system. I was given Maxolon, but the dose seems very small. I was instructed to put 1ml of Maxolon into 4ml's of water and give Jake 0.1ml twice daily. Is this enough?. I did ask for Metaclopramide (aka Reglan) but was given Maxolon, is this similar?

Jake is producing poop, but they are small and very dry even though he's having enough fluids. He's also depressed which I did expect after such a big operation but he seems to be getting worse. I'm giving him regular syringes of critical care. He is producing urine, but not a vast amount.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:25 pm

It appears Maxolon is metaclopromide:

http://www.virtualcancercentre.com/drug ... rugid=2669

You can figure the dose out using the motility pages, his weight, and the concentration of the drug in water.

Piggielove

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:32 pm

Thank you Lynx, my search didn't come up with anything like that page.

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean about the motility pages?

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:38 pm

Piggielove

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:00 am

I'm not sure how to work that out, can someone who's used this drug before help me? According to the weight chart https://www.guinealynx.info/weight_conversion.html , this is Jakes weight. 1100 g ( 2 lb - 6.7 oz). I've rang the emergency vet and they say its enough Maxolon.

Jake isn't doing very well at all.

klynne

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:05 am

I'm sorry he's not doing well.

Does he have pain management? That is crucial following surgery.

Also, can you make sure he stays warm? A heating pad set on low and under half the space you have him in will help. (Make sure he can get off it if he wants to.)

When they are in a lot of pain, they can get shocky and lose the ability to maintain their body temp.

I also wouldn't handfeed him if he is cold. They cannot digest at that point.

Keep him out of pain as much as possible, keep him warm and hydrated, quiet, and we'll think good thoughts for you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:43 am

Please read over this page. You have to figure out how many miligrams you are giving him to know if it is the right dose. To determine this, you must know how many mg per ml and how many ml you are giving so you can determine the mg (this along with the weigh will allow you to determine the dose rate):

https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

Piggielove

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:06 am

My vet gave Jake some fluids this morning via injection and said it would last all day (she gave him quite alot) she said he wasn't dehydrated. Jake looks very weak and he can't seem to stand up, his front legs are splayed, his chin on the floor. The vet seemed to think he needs time to recover (his gums were a healthy pink) but the way he looks I'm not so sure he will pull through.

I'm still trying to get food and water into him. Since he was given the fluid this morning, his poops are no longer dry and are more moist. I've been giving him infacal, when he arrived home he passed some wind, so maybe that at least is helping.

My vet said I can give him the Maxolon every 6 hours instead of twice daily.

Jake is on Metacam, I wonder if its having a sedating effect on him.

Thank you for the advice, I'm trying to keep him as warm as possible and I really hope Jake pulls through.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:19 pm

I do not think metacam is a sedative type pain medication (like some of the other ones).

I wish you both the best.

maremma

Post   » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:40 pm

I am so sorry your baby is so ill. I am unsure exactly where the incision is for the stone removal but if it is possible to gently massage his sides without bothering his incision site it may well help his motility. If you have a gentle vibrating masager it may help even more once his incision is further along healed. It helped my Fonize to get poops out and gas and it also helps my Sweetpea who has bloat and needs a lot of help to keep tooting out her gas.

I strongly recommend keeping after him with a great deal of fluid and pedialyte too along with his criti care. Sub-q's are very important in helping a baby with stasis as well as oral liquids to aid them in digesting the food you put in them.

Piggielove

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:47 am

Thank you Lynx and maremma. I hope your Sweetpea will be alright maremma.

I've been giving Jake gentle massages, he is producing poops and urine so his tum hasn't gone into full stasis, but he's still very weak and quiet.

Jake was given Sub-q's yesterday. I am worried if he is suffering. After a talk with my vet this morning who did Jakes operation, he said he wants to give Jake more time and I do trust his judgement on this, but its so hard wondering if its the right decision for Jake.

His breathing is quiet and not laboured.

I asked my vet if the stone would have done any internal damage but he said the main damage it would have done if it was to go down the urethra and it didn't.

This is the actual stone next to an English 5p coin

and Jakes x-ray.

[link to larger pic: https://www.guinealynx.info/photos/Piggielove-2.jpg -- Lynx]
Poor Jake has been through such alot and I really hope he starts recovering.

Thank you again for your help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:28 pm

That is a big stone! Let me know if I can add your pics to the site.