Stella's Medical Thread

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:01 am

"Her head is almost completely bald, and she has a bald patch behind her left front leg."

Oh, poor Stella.

I'm no expert, but your statement reminded me of another thread. Does anything in this thread seem similar to Stella's problem?

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... highlight=

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:22 am

Have you tried revolution?

Was she tested for ringworm?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:40 pm

How horribly discouraging. And your vet has no more ideas? No bacteria? Nada?

I can still only suggest doing small experiments on sections of the skin. Continue ivermectin or change to Revolution. Read again the page on cheilitis and apply fungal, antibacterial, anti-yeast preparations. Watch for any signs of improvement. And try the Program too (this is what finally worked for the other pig's problem - though yours looks like it could be different).

I am so terribly sorry you are not seeing results.

SStroh

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:39 pm

Stella's ears look like the pictures on the other thread, but where her hear is falling out her skin is perfectly smooth. Other than the places she scratches herself, there is nothing actually on the skin.

My vet is not open on the weekends, so I can't do anything until Monday, but I am going to call her and see what the next step should be.

She wasn't tested for ringworm, but the fact that Shasta still doesn't have anything rules out a lot of things, I think. If it was fungal, bacterial or mites I would think that Shasta would have gotten it by now.
EDIT: they did a fungal culture when they did the biopsy and nothing showed up, would that have shown ringworm?

I'm thinking of ordering the revolution, right now it couldn't hurt. Can revolution and program be used at the same time?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:45 pm

You have to do a specific test for ringworm, and it takes at least 10 days to grow out a culture - sometimes more.

I don't know if you're supposed to use Revolution and Program at the same time, but I've done it.

Check with Josephine to be sure.

SStroh

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:56 pm

I just did a search and found a thread where she says they can be used at the same time here

Maybe I'll talk to the vet about that on Monday. I'm kind of afraid to try too many more drugs, even if they're different I'm afraid of over-medicating her, but I don't think I have a choice anymore.

My original thought when this started was mites, but when the Ivermectin didn't work we moved on. I guess it's time to try something stronger and see what happens.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Yes, it's fairly safe. At this point you just want relief. Ditto on the specific tests. Generally a vet will have an idea what he/she wants to test for and that's all that is run (this is standard). If it is fungal, some of the topical fungal preparations should have an effect also.

SStroh

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:45 pm

I did try monistat before I even took her to the vet the first time. The biggest problem is that she will not let me touch her ears at all without having a fit, and even when I could get it on there, it still continued to get worse. Because of this, and the stuff the vet said, I kind of figured it's most likely not fungal, but I'm willing to try anything right now.

I'm going to go ahead and order some program and revolution, and I'm also going to continue the lymdyp. I'll talk to my vet Monday and see if she has any other suggestions.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I was starting to feel a little bit hopeless.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:54 pm

You can use the Program and Revolution together. Don't use ivermectin and Revolution at the same time though.

Your poor little pig has to get better!

SStroh

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:06 pm

Last night I noticed some mushy poops in the cage, and today there are a bunch more. I'm pretty sure it's from Stella, and I really think it may just be because I gave them a few extra veggies yesterday morning.

I was just wondering, should I skip the veggies all together tonight, or just cut down on the amount, and if it is the veggies how long should it take for things to normal out?

We are leaving on Friday and will be gone until Wednesday, and I don't want to leave her if there could be something more going wrong now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:03 pm

You could cut back. Hard to know what is causing it. Do you have a knowledgeable somebody caring for your pig? How is Stella doing? Are any of the treatments working? Is she in less pain?

SStroh

Post   » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:43 pm

I can't really tell if she's getting better, but she doesn't seem to be getting worse. I haven't gotten a chance to talk to the vet, yet. She was busy Monday and she wasn't in the office again until tomorrow, but I left a message on her voicemail and with the nurse.

Her pain level seems to be okay, but it's hard to tell. She's been moving around more, but she also spends a lot of time puffed up in her house. I gave her another lympdyp bath tonight so she's not happy again. She's still on 0.1cc Metacam once a day, and 0.01cc torb twice a day, but I just ran out of torb and they won't refill it until the vet says it's okay.

I have a pet sitter to watch the girls while we're gone, and I'm kind of freaking out about it. The girl who's watching them is supposed to be very good, she came highly recommended, has worked with animals her whole life on a farm, and has been petsitting for around 5 or 6 years now. She can do subq's and medication injections if need be (hopefully there will be no need), so hopefully it'll be okay.

I did toy with the idea of brining them along, but we'll be traveling by airplane and we're going to a 50th wedding anniversary so there will be people everywhere. I didn't think the stress of traveling would help Stella out in the long run, even if it made me feel better. I would really rather stay home, but I haven't been back to Montana in quite a while, and my grandma has been planning this party for almost a year now so it's not really an option.

I'm still really down about this whole thing. Stella just seems so miserable, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. She is starting to grow back some of her hair, but she's still losing it, as well. I still haven't got the Revolution, so I haven't got to try it yet. I think I need a new vet, but the next best one is almost 2 hours away, which wouldn't make it much more convenient than the one I have...

Sorry if I'm rambling, I just don't know what to do anymore.