Different Breeds of Guinea Pigs (A Breeders view)

crazypiggie247
The Herd Of Wonders

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:18 pm

Now if someone would just make a video or site with examples/explanations of the breeds WITHOUT an emphasis on breeding/showing.

It was informative though, I just had to try very hard not to say nasty things about those hideous ear clips.

veckard

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:18 pm

Wow, that was a boring video. Informative, kinda, but way too slow. They could have at least put some music on it or something.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:19 pm

I have the knowledge and desire to do a breed data thread, I just haven't figured out how to do it on this board. Ideally, I would like to use member's pigs. I have little to no computer skills (which is a problem to make it user friendly and presentable). That way, we would know colors and breeds, plus see some of the adorable mutts that own us!

Guys, there is a good reason why there are only Tans in Americans. And it's a good thing if you don't believe in the show/breeding standards. The way the ACBA recognizes new varieties (colors/color patterns) is similar to how they recognize new breeds. It takes a ton of breeding and formal presentations at the yearly "National" show. At that show, (if I remember right), there can be no less than 6 pigs of that type (may be more) in ideal markings and coloring. One of each sex in the breed AND variety in each of the age/size categories (there are 3). That means for Tans to be a recognized variety in EVERY breed means 13 x 6 animals for presentation alone at 3 individual Nationals. That makes for a TON of animals at presentation, let alone the rate of only 1 or 2 animals per litter usually being ideal. There are tons of culls when you are breeding for development of a new Variety or Breed. Americans were the easiest breed to get the variety recognized in since that is how they were imported by Juliet Barrera and once-ACBA president Tracy Iverson. They held the development certificate when I heard about the plans about 10 years ago.

Here is a pic--Tans are a very specific color pattern and were named Tans after the bunny breed showing a similar pattern:
Tan Cavy
Here is an ACBA article with a bit of the history.
Tan Cavy History
They are the newest recognized ACBA color variety.

Unfortunately, during my search for a pic, I did stumble upon breeders trying to develop tans in all other breeds. Great.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:44 pm

Josephine, if you ever put something together and post it here, I can create some html pages in the guide from it too (if we can get the pics).

I think tempering it with information concerning problems with different breeds and the search for coat (and not good health) would work into it well too.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:39 pm

Josephine, I have a really easy web designing program I could send you if you like. It's about as easy to use as MS Word with no html needed. Be glad to help you too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:00 pm

It takes very little time for me to put things together for this site because I have a template I kind of plug things into. Not sure what benefit web designing software would be unless she'd prefer to set up her own website elsewhere (I didn't get the feeling this was what she was interested in doing).

I also find software to design things very verbose. You end up with an ackward file that takes much more room than is needed.

Give me plain old html any day. Oh, and some style sheets.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:19 pm

I was worried about clogging up GL with more pics. I think the breed-related info (as well as color-info, e.g. the dal or roan genes) would be great.

I guess I could definitely start writing a thread. The pics could be added later. That is the most intimidating part for me, actually, is the gathering and uploading of pics. I don't want to use any breeder sites at all to link to--I think I could get something arranged in the next day or two. At least the beginnings.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:41 pm

That would be great!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:57 pm

Josephine, if you would like any help from me (on the roan/dal page maybe) just email me.

We could see what pics we can solicit from members. Maybe make a sticky with the varieties you want. If you do one page at a time, you could list everything you want for that page. For example, the roan/dal page might include something like this:

ROAN:

Golden Agouti

Silver Agouti

Black

Red

TSW
etc etc

DALMATIAN:

Black

Chocolate
etc. etc.

MAGPIE:

(explaining how they're not really roans)

COVERT ROANS & DALS:

(any non-obvious roans who have popped out lethals)

LETHALS:

(any informative pics of lethals: lethals with red eyes, dark eyes, small eyes, deformed eyes, missing eyes, eyes flashing silver from the flash; tooth pics; etc.)

Then you could request people email you a link to their pic, with a subject of "Chocolate Dalmatian" or whatever so you can sort and pick through. People who want to help but don't know what their pig is would be encouraged to post in the thread where E tells them what kind of pig they have.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Josephine, I would love to help in any way. I can upload pictures if you write up the thread. That is no problem. If you can tell me when you have some to post and or if you want me to get from some specific place, I can do that.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:30 pm

Thanks guys. Salana, that would be great if you wanted to headline the roan and dal page. I'm sure you have some great pics of Einy that we should use!
Dgarriques, I would definitely appreciate any help. I'm just not sure until I get started what exact form it will take. I'm just putting down thoughts right now in the reference forum.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:31 pm

I do not have the expertise like most of you but I can help with gathering info and loading pictures for you. Just let me know and I will do what I can. It is WONDERFUL of you to share so much knowledge.