Different Breeds of Guinea Pigs (A Breeders view)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:52 am

If someone would take the time to put together a good selection (and we have permission from the posters), I can upload them to this site so they are always available.

It is helpful to me if you name your pictures with the type of coat/variety and your name so I know who to give credit to.l

Like:

american_salana.jpg

LandosMomma

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:11 am

I'm going to ask a ding dong question, because I am a ding dong about breeds. If they are a solid color with some streaks of another does that make them a roan?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:40 am

Roaning is white hair mixed with colored hair. Dalmatian is a kind of roan that's more spotty.

But if the two mixed colors are red and black or their dilutions, not white, that's brindling, not roaning. Like momof911kids's pig Piglet had chocolate and red brindling:

A brindled pig with all their red diluted to white (the same gene that makes PEWs and Silver Agoutis) will look like a roan, but isn't. I believe that's a Magpie.

LandosMomma

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:44 am

Is it possible to have roaning and brindling? I think my Gambit has that.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:06 am

Absolutely.

amptondooz

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:13 am

There ya go, Lynx. I changed it. If you save it it should save as teddy_amptondooz.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/myfriendisbob/teddy_amptondooz.jpg

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:09 pm

Your "magpie American" looks like the spitting image of a dalmatian/roan to me.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:18 pm

That's what a magpie does. It's a brindle with all the red pigment non-functional, so it looks like it has roaning. But a roan is less likely than a brindle to have stripes of solid color across the sides, so it does look like Elsie is probably a magpie (as long as she has no red hairs anywhere on her body).

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:55 pm

Yep, she has no red hairs at all. I've always wondered what to call her color, I had no idea what she was until I looked at this thread.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:33 pm

Lynx, I was planning on making some selections tonight. I think we have a great start on some pics for colors as well.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:49 pm

Jo I will get that CD out to you by thiss weekend.

I am also sending some to KM for her catalog sales (sorry KM I know I am late)

Lynx while I am making them do you need more to sell?

amptondooz

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:51 pm

I don't think this one would be any good because you can't see the whole body, but you can see the colourings and fur texture.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/myfriendisbob/Teddy2_amptondooz.jpg

To bad Momo isn't here, you could get some hawt pictures of Mojo with his bangs!

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:33 pm

She'll be back soon. You can always poke around her photobucket albums. :-) I adore widdle Mojo.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:28 pm

dgarriques, I think I'm all set. I will be offering them with the calendars when they come out (I have a bunch).

amptondooz, that's exactly what I meant. I saved it to a new folder. Don't really have time to evaluate everyone's pics though (and as Josephine notes, we need the best). We gotta get it right.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Lynx, this is what I like so far:

Abyssinian
LibbyLou's Foster Broken Color Cream & White Shorter coat.
LibbyLou's Foster Broken Color Black & White Longer coat with different rosettes.
Sakura Broken Color Black & White. Aby with a longer tail!

American
LibbyLou's Foster Tortoiseshell & White

Peruvian
Rayna White (DEW)
LibbyLou's Foster Broken Color Red & White

Silkie
Libby Lou's Foster TSW
Libby Lou's Foster Himalayan Looks like it has a shorter/trimmed coat.

Teddy
Libby Lou's Foster Golden Agouti

Texel
Baby Kramer Looks like a Broken Color Red & White
Betty Boop Looks like a Broken Color Red & White
Coco Bean Looks like a tortoiseshell.

White Crested
Libby Lou's Foster Red This is actually one of the most common colors bred intentionally.
Libby Lou's Foster Tortoiseshell This pig has an incomplete white crest (very common).

Oh, since it was such a good pic, I also would like this:
Self Crested
Libby Lou's Foster Golden Agouti

I think I can dig up a Coronet pic out of my stuff. I don't see any submitted so far. I'll also look for more Satin pics and if Jennicat has any more to submit in different lighting, that would be great!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:09 pm

I will collect them tomorrow and see if I can set up a page.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:19 pm

This is the original photo of Sakura, with her rooster tail (not resized - more clear).

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/tsutauto/Sakura%20Fur/SakuraAbyLongerTail.jpg

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:24 pm

Lynx, feel free to upload Rayna's pic to the site to always have available. Also if you want the original pic, which is bigger than what I uploaded to my webspace, then just let me know and I will email it to you.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:43 pm

Oh, I don't have a great pic anywhere of my Coronet.

This is the best I have:
Beaujolais, Broken Red & White Coronet He's with his Silkie brother, Ciel. I wonder if anyone else has a Coronet? None come to mind offhand.

Here are some American Satin pics:
Luciole, Red
Emma, a Red Eyed Orange and Cannelle, a Red
Dazzle, a Broken Color Red & White

I hope I do get some others submitted, that may be better than these, but I think some sheen is apparent, if not only on the nose rings of the head-on views).

I can't resist this one of a Silkie. It is of my first rescue, Hiver, when I had serious designs on fully coating him out. He was my first coated pig and it was a real novelty for awhile. How impractical!

Hiver, Broken Color Red & White

476 posts