Ack! Why did Jackie lose weight?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:19 pm

You can see the hole where the stuff came out (behind the hair). His skin is also darker around it, almost black. And he has no hair on the lump.

Closer up:

Even closer, but blurry:

Jackie has, of course, been wallowing in his own pee and poop so as to make his side nice and disgusting.

leebee

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:24 pm

I've had pigs get similar looking things before. Eventually, it turns into a sebaceous cyst and needs to be surgically removed, at least with my pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:28 pm

Snowflake's was smaller, pasty/waxy.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:08 pm

Jackie's been having some of the same symptoms as his mom: he's eating a little less hay and sleeping a little more. He's lost weight, more than Suzi. But he's more alert and not as spacey as she is. His breathing is heavy, but it's been heavy for quite a while.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:47 pm

Jackie has been acting perfectly healthy. But I picked him up today and he began screaming. I looked to see if he had a buildup of smegma since his penis area looked swollen. But no, he has raw red sores all over his entire penis shaft and the inside of his prepuce. It also stunk like infection. The head of his penis looks okay just full of ordinary smegma which I cleaned out. Unless his mom gave him some sort of venereal disease, what the hell could be going on??

I cleaned him up with warm water and diluted betadine, but didn't know if I should put something on to lubricate it (vaseline, KY, or whatever). Do you think that would help him feel more comfortable? He already feels a little better since I got rid of the cheesy wet stuff that was extra stinky and all around his penis. He's no longer screaming. He's not really happy with me though.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:51 pm

Oh, and to refer back to earlier health problems, his cyst is full of ricotta cheese again. But now he screams whenever I poke anywhere near it. (In addition to aforementioned genital screaming)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:13 pm

I wonder if an antibiotic would help. Do you have any Preparation H around? I would give that a go for his penis (should help a little with the pain too).

Sorry Jackie is in pain. I hope you can get it sorted out.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Well, I don't want to put triple antibiotic on his penis, on the off chance that he tries to clean himself. How would Preparation H help? Isn't it kind of drying?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:15 pm

I think if it were me I would 1) dab a little KY on his private parts. That has some chlorhex in it and would also act as an antimicrobial ... but I fear you're going to need some AB's for whatever infection it is that's stinking. :-(

How old is Jackie?

Edit: Prep H is drying, and that's essentially the point. It reduces swelling (and hopefully, also pain thereby) and does dry a little.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:18 pm

He'll be 5 on July 31.

I didn't see any abscesses, just the red sores. Do you think the chlorhex in the KY would be sufficient to cure the infection or should I go for something systemic?

Wouldn't it be painful and friction-filled if Jackie's penis and prepuce were dry and rubbing against each other?
Last edited by salana on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:18 pm

No, it should not be drying. It's a lubricant of sorts. I think there are different products. The one I got that I used on Nina's feet is called: [bah, I went to look for it and couldn't find it -- but it is an ointment]

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:20 pm

I think I'd give it a day or two of keeping him scrupulously clean and dry (with the understanding that this is Jackie and may be a little hard to do), and applying the KY. If the sores are not completely gone, or very quite well on their way to completely gone, then go for systemic.

I'm hoping the sores are simply from the entire package being (sorry) overstuffed with wet smegma. But it might be more than that.

If you do try Prep H (it really helps my husband, don't you guys ever dare tell him I posted that on the internet), get the regular, old-fashioned, traditional ointment only. I think it has a green label. They also make a gel (you don't want that) and a product with an astringent (witch hazel) in it. You most definitely don't want that.
Last edited by Talishan on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.