My piggies are outdoors this summer

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:24 am

Oh, do please abort the experiment. If you are not right there with them, they are not safe. I was in the kitchen where I 'watched' the piggies and the kids were out playing when Dudley attacked and killed Sid and Truffle. You'd be surprised at how much of your kitchen work is not looking outside. It only took seconds.

Max and Toby go out to graze, but only when someone is right there at their run. No turning your back on them. They are your babies and you need to think of them as babies; dependant on you for care and protection. You would never leave an infant out on their own, so don't leave your fur babies out either.

As for nighttime, raccoons are very crafty and persistant. I don't think you can raccoon-proof a hutch.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 am

Have you not read the account of the guinea pig carried off by the hawk? This was in CA. The hawk dropped it and it was rescued (gps roaming free in someone's backyard is an attractant).

Subsequent sightings of this hawk had it eating guinea pigs that were successfully caught.

Ditto on the secure environment if you are not going to be right with your guinea pig every moment it is outside!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 am

Bring 'em in. This is a tragedy waiting to happen.

quiltluvr

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:00 am

I would be afraid to leave them outside unattended. Even though you can see them from the house it's sort of like letting a toddler play outside by themselves and watch them from the window. When you turn your back for just a moment something terrible could happen that you couldn't predict.

I believe you love your gp's very much. Just remember they are totally defenseless. At least chickens can peck!

Leaving the piggies outside may attract a lot of wild animals that you didn't realize you had in your area until it's too late. I live in town but I've seen a hawk a couple of times swoop down in front of me trying to get a squirrel in our front yard.

kristina
Supporter in '12

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:03 am

I can't even describe how fast a tragedy can happen.

Please, do not leave them outside!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:37 am

My neighbor has wild bunnies in his yard, hawks and sometimes foxes. He will occasionally find a rabbit carcass.

barb5417
For all Wonkys & Winkys

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:08 am

When it's hot during the day, you bring them in, then at night when it cools down, you put them out for the night.

You say that when they are outside, you are watching them all the time.

Dont you sleep?

Honestly, do you think that all the wild animals that live around our homes, go to bed when we do?

I can't understand how you would take such a risk with the lives of your pigs. What's wrong with you?

lisam

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:35 am

Lisam, this is worlds away from those 100 pigs left to roam free outside that you rescued.

I wasn't talking about that case, but about the first surrender I received as a rescue. The pigs were kept in a huge outdoor cage at a rental home somewhere in Puyallup.

Jennicat

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:46 am

If I knew there was even a potential for raccoons to be out near the pigs, I would DEFINITELY not leave them out unsupervised. My mother's farm lost several ducklings that were put up for the night to a raccoon through a fence.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:50 am

All of which is not to say that pigs can't enjoy some fresh air and grass, I just think that they should be supervised while doing it.

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:45 pm

I'd be very worried about raccoons. They are very strong and can manipulate their paws like hands to open just about anything.

I used to work summers at a Girl Scout camp and the raccoons would get very bold. We tried to be careful to put any garbage or leftovers in cans with tight lids. Even then, we actually sat and watched through a screened door in the lodge as one huge coon pried the lid off a metal garbage can to get inside it one night.

Skunks are another concern. A skunk killed a litter of wild baby rabbits beside my house last year. Tore the heads off each one. I don't think it did it to eat them. Just wanted to kill them so they were not in it's territory, I guess.

I don't take mine outside at all, though I think they might like it. My biggest concern is the neighbor's silky terrier that gets loose on occasion. There are also hawks and crows. I don't know if a crow would bother a guinea pig but I've seen them snatch baby birds from other birds nests. I figure my kitchen is as dangerous an area as they will be seeing for open space (and my wooden chicken is the scariest predator that should be looking at them).

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:49 pm

I think it sounds like a beautiful set up. Just make sure it is protected with a top and they are only enjoying their time outside with you right there (like others have said). I am hoping to set up a grazing area soon too.