Sebastian Thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:00 am

GP Lover, does it look more like this?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:47 pm

Yes, much like that...could be the same tool. How much is that darn thing? I'd like to know how many of them I paid for.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:54 pm

I can't remember the site I found it on, but I'm wanting to say around $100?

I found a pair of small, stainless steel bone cutting shears for about $20. I'm wondering if these would work:

Here is the larger pair:

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Personally, I wouldn't let their teeth be cut by anything other than the one my vet uses. I think the rounded shape is important and allows for the tooth to be cut properly. It allows for the the blades to hit the tooth with even pressure.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:00 pm

Can you find a picture of it, GP Lover? Is it designed specifically for rodents, or is it also used for cats and dogs?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:01 pm

I believe it is the one you show above that I said must be it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:58 pm

Other than two places that sell them for around $100 (they're for dogs), I can't seem to find them online.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:49 pm

Well, at $22 per tooth trim every 6 weeks over the last 2 yrs and still going...hhhmm...seems I've paid for a few of them!

They work like a charm on gp teeth!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:57 pm

No kidding, you did.

Do you recall if this tool is pretty large, or is it small? The ones I'm finding seem pretty hefty -- 10" long! That doesn't sound right.

I'm wondering if it would be safer to use a Dremel and a diamond rotary wheel to cut it.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:15 pm

I would say it seemd to be about 6 - 10" long. I don't think you need to be concerned about the length though. The part that goes in the mouth and over the teeth works perfectly.

I wouldn't allow a dremel to be used...too much vibration and a quick, clean cut is the way to go.

GP Estates
Supporter in '08

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:19 pm

I don't know the name of the tool so I won't be any help there but my vet uses a tool that works like a dremel but is made for this kind of thing. It's smaller and better quality than the dremel but has diamond tipped attachments and is controlled with a foot pedal instead of the thumb thing on the dremel. I've seen her use it to trim my pigs teeth and it worked great, it was fast and operated very smoothly.

The idea of using clippers on their teeth makes MY teeth hurt!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:34 pm

"The idea of using clippers on their teeth makes MY teeth hurt!"

I am the one who holds Elsie's mouth open for the procedure and I can assure you it is quick and painless. One or two snips and it's over.

She can't be on her back so I bring the Super Pet Chair with me and we prop her up in it so that she is reclining, with the back of the chair up against a wall.

I hold her lips down and away from her teeth while the vet positions the tool. Once we are satisfied of how much to cut...snip! It's over.

I always practice the reclining position with my pigs and looking at their teeth so that if they ever need to go to the vet they will be used to that.