Sebastian Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:08 pm

It would be cool if you could get an assistant to take a couple of pics of you holding Elsie and the vet clipping the teeth. And maybe a pic of the clipper for Sef?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:19 pm

That would be great! Last week when the vet filed the tooth, it took SIX hands to hold him -- vet, vet tech and receptionist. Yikes. I do better restraining him myself when I file. I'd love to see the tool, too, and how it's used.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:04 am

I'll see what I can do next time we go which may be next week or the week after.

pinta

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:46 pm

Definitely needs trimming and it does appear to be overcompensating which would make me wonder if there is a problem at the base of the tooth. How is his breath? The fact the broken tooth is taking so long to grow but is visible makes me suspect that it is fractured vertically and continually breaking off. Vertical fractures can definitely lead to infections. I'd suggest a closer look at the xray. Are they dental xrays? The sunken eye might have been an early indication of a tooth problem.

The tooth needs to be trimmed to the length it would normally be. I believe Dr. Legendre files the teeth down with a dremel(?).

If the molars are fine and he is chewing normally and his jaw is in alignment, I don't think a Chin-Sling would help. The Chin-Sling concentrates gentle pressure at the back of the jaw forcing molars into position and contact. If he isn't self-grinding the incisor because he doesn't have enough jaw strength, then the chin-Sling could help.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:55 pm

There is no mouth odor. I keep looking at the incoming tooth, and it isn't growing. Vet said the tooth had been discolored when I brought him in initially to treat for stroke/autoimmune issue, and it didn't surprise her that it broke off. She stated that the new growth (what there is of it) appears healthy and there is no infection or inflammation, although there was a little bit of redness when it first happened -- hence the round of Baytril.

Interestingly, the missing tooth is not on the side with the sunken eye.

I still wonder if the Prednisone caused just enough bone density loss to bring this about. Bassy will be 4 years old in October.

Do you know what kind of cutter attachment (diameter) works best for the job?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:36 pm

I did find this photograph of rabbit incisors being trimmed using a Dremel, but the attachment is referred to only as a "rotary tool disc" without specifying if it's a diamond cut-off wheel or just a plain disc, or what the diameter is.

Does anyone know what works best? Would a dental burr be even better?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:23 am

Dremel tools also have a grinder -- various grits. That cutter looks awful and it also looks like the rabbit's teeth are going to be cut too short (if they're anything like guinea pigs).

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:29 am

OWE!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:41 am

My Vet used a clipper type of tool on Rosey, I did it also at home before and then worried I was not doing it right. I let them get longer than I cared to trim I guess.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:48 am

That pic is horrible to look at.

somechick

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:11 am

I second that. Scary.

I know nothing about teeth trimming, but it would be great to have pics of what works. GP Lover is a pro at this!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:33 am

Well I was more interested in the tool, but now that you mention it, it looks like the vet is trimming all the way down to the friggin gumline almost. Oy.