Stella's Medical Thread

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:28 am

Well I sure hope it gives her some relief. Even if it doesn't do anything else, it should moisturize the skin and make her more comfortable. Poor baby.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:43 am

Pogoly's mom had the fungus pig I was referring to.

SStroh

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:37 pm

Stella is finally getting better!!

Here are some new pics
her fur is growing back around her eyes!
even the top of her head is looking a little bit better

Now all we really have to work on is this stuff on her lip, we have another vet appointment on Thursday to get started on this stuff

Hopefully she will continue to get better, and this will all just be a bad memory in a while...

I just want to thank everyone on the board who helped Stella (and me :-) through all of this, although she's not entirely out of the woods yet, she is so much better than she was doing, and I don't think I could have done it without you!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:33 pm

Wow! Stella's ears look so much better, and it's wonderful to see her fur growing back.

Sending healthy thoughts for the rest to heal soon!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:27 am

Thanks so much for the update! She is wonderfully improved!!

Did you ever feel you really determined what was the cause of this? Fungus? Bacterial infection? What do you feel finally worked?

I hope this clears COMPLETELY up.

Topaz

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:40 am

I hope it completely clears up too. Every time I see poor little Stella I feel so bad for her. That can't feel good. She does look so much better though. Keep up the good work!

Good thoughts and healing vibes being sent....

SStroh

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:50 pm

Lynx, I'm still not sure exactly what this was, and it's tough to tell which of the many remedies I've tried has been the one to help.

With her hugely high WBC count there must be some sort of infection going on, but that was done after the AB so I'm guessing we haven't done much with that yet (test is on Thursday to see if it's gone down)

She has been getting a lymdyp once a week, and we did just up the concentration to a 1:20 dilution rather than 1:40, so that could have done something

She's also gotten one treatment of revoution, and two treatments of Program (the first dose of Program was at 90mg/kg, the second dose I gave her ~160 mg/kg after reading the higher doses in the fungus threads).

All of this has been concurrent, so there's no way to really tell which of them helped, or if it was a combition of everything. Plus she's been getting some coconut oil on her ears and nose once a day for about a week now.

She still won't let me touch her ears much, but after all of this I don't know if she will ever be comfortable having them touched again (I don't think I would!).

Thanks for all the good thoughts and healing vibes! I'll let you all know what the plan is after the vet visit on Thrusday.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 pm

This was so horribly severe, you sure as heck had to try to cover as much as you could.

Still hoping for the day she is 100% cleared.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:58 pm

Goodness.. her chelitis breaks my heart, well, all her fungal patches. I am glad stuff is growing back.

Try and put some VCO on her nose, if it is chelitis, its fungal and it sure could not hurt.

Oh Stella, we love you girlie, feel better!

SStroh

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:35 am

So, I found out what you get for spending over $1000 at my vet's office... Stella got patient of the month, and I got a picture that they had put up on the wall for the month :-p

However, the good news is Stella is now fully recovered! The edges of her ears are a little ragged now, and she has a small hairless spot under her chin that may or may not grow back, but you can hardly tell she was sick at all!
I'm lucky she was a fighter! Thank you all so much for everything. I don't know that she would have made it if it weren't for the suggestions I got on these boards.

EDIT: I just wanted to add, in case anyone runs across something like this later, what finally worked for us was a mixture of:
~a 20:1 dilution of lymdyp once a week,
~Oral program given every other week at no less than 90 mg/kg
~revolution given once every 3 weeks at the normal dose
~virgin coconut oil rubbed on the bad spots every other day or so.
We're not sure which one finally worked, or if it was the combination, but she slowly got better, and now she's been off meds completely for about 3 weeks and everything appears to be all better.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:47 am

Stella looks amazing! What a brave and beautiful girl. She looks so pleased, happy, and healthy in your pictures. :)

She certainly would not have made it if it weren't for your determination, SStroh.

Topaz

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:09 am

Oh I am SO happy for little Stella! Great work! She must feel like a new pig. Wow.

She looks wonderful.