Suggestion to keep pigs cool if no airconditioning

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:48 pm

I found a great way to keep my pigs cool here in Southern California since I have no air conditioning. I use the square Blue Ice bricks and slide them under the top layer of fleece into the pigaloo. The larger ones fit perfectly in a large pigaloo and the smaller one fits a small pigaloo. I found the pigs hate the frozen water bottles and the Blue Ice are usually too cold. But, if you cover it with fleece, it stays dry and cold all day. I was thinking of making some "cozies" to keep them in so I can lay them on top of the fleece, buy haven’t had time. The plastic is extremely tough on these things so pigs can't chew them, but they won't lie next to them unless they are covered. My pigs love them.

I also found some battery operated fans for crates at Drs. Foster and Smith that have a piece that goes on them that you freeze and then attach so it is like mini air conditoning. There is a thermastat on the fan so it turns on at a particular setting. I use these in case the power goes out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:07 am

Do you have a pic of one of the blue ice bricks? Are they easy to come by?

whittibo

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am

Oh my gosh, no air conditioning in CA! Are you insane??

When we first moved into our house there, we couldn't afford any type of cooler. So we used the box fans on the floor with wet towels draped over them. It worked OK, I mean, I wouldn't do it long term, but it worked for the very hot days.

MrsKey

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:16 am

They're usually available at Target, Wal-Mart and grocery stores - where they sell coolers and lunch boxes. They come in a pretty wide variety of sizes.

They look like this.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:38 pm

My foster gals, all maniacal nibblers, chewed through the corner of one of those, even though it was wrapped. No harm was done, but frozen bottles work better for us, because they don't have any tempting corners.

Ledasmom

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:50 pm

The frozen bottles work very well here, though I was wondering whether it might be possible to put blue-ice bricks under the coroplast. If you have a worn-out pair of pajama pants or similar, the cut-off legs work nicely as a bottle cozy.
When Warrior and Burglar were getting dominance settled, Warrior would do his usual frantic humping on Burglar and then run over and fling himself down against the ice bottle. Poor fellow, I thought he was going to give himself a heart attack.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:44 pm

Cooling material under the coroplast is an interesting idea, like radiant heat floors. (And I'm glad to hear that "my" boys are getting along.)

Ledasmom

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:54 pm

The boys are doing beautifully together now. Burglar actually fell asleep on my lap this morning.

SStroh

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:56 pm

I don't think cooling stuff under the coroplast would do any good unless the piggies sit right on the coroplast. The bedding would act as insulation, plus cold air falls. We finally just gave in and bought a stand alone air conditioner for the living room...

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:37 pm

Yes, we are insane to not have air conditioning! I have never had it in the 25 years I have lived here. I do however stay at work longer in the summer because we do have it at work. My boss thinks I am such a devoted worker!

I live in a rental with roll out windows, so window units don't work. I can't put a hole in the wall, and I was going to get a stand alone until I found out they really don't work that well. So far the Blue Ices are working fine and none of my pigs are chewers, thank goodness. The fans with the thermostat are good. I checked them this morning and they do actually turn on and off when they are supposed to. They were only about $12.00 each.

I have 4 fans in the living room, and two in my room where some of the pigs are. My husband puts out frozen water bottles mid-day since he works from home. The pajama leg idea is a good one. Now, if I can just get him to put the bottles in them....

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:47 pm

The choroplast itself is insulating because of the air layer. I think you'd need the frozen blocks under the bedding, not the choro.

Ledasmom

Post   » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:27 pm

I just got a couple of those car-buffing gloves with the fake sheepskin on the outside. The smaller blue-ice blocks fit inside them perfectly.