Six pigs in need of a home in Watertown, MA

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:21 am

Oh we MUST have pictures!!! A baby skinny???

So sorry about the others and poor mama having to have a c-section. 80-85 grams isn't too bad. In litters of 4 or so, that is about the birthweight for babies my foster girls have had. Between there and 100 grams.

Of course, mine have come into rescue already pregnant, often with not the best previous nutrition.

Feeling the fetal movement is awesome and amazing.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:24 am

Believe me, we're trying. I was contemplating whether I could convert a feeding syringe into a cavy breast pump, but I think if it were possible someone on these forums would have tried it.

OK, picture!

Burrowing under mom, but clueless about what to do when there:
Tiny precious handful...sure hope we can keep him alive.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:34 am

Adorable!!!!!! He looks half haired. :-)
I have had luck with holding mom,on my chest, head toward me, slightly on her side and helping the little one latch on (his head toward her back end with his body along her belly) to nurse and just holding them a while.
This helped my 50 gram runt to get some private nursing time. We also supplemented her with CC,mixed with pedialyte and a bit of the kitten milk replacer. The KMR seemed to be what enticed her to eat from a tiny spoon and over the course of several days, I used less and less of the KMR to get her to have more CC.

Once she was taking more of the CC mix on her own, she was eating veggies and hay well too. She was just slower, so we separated her from her siblings to eat.

Tammy

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:55 am

Cute! A half nekkid baby pig =)

It took nearly half a day or more for Mochi to get used to her babies when she was a new mom. I was so scared the babies would starve but eventually, Mochi came through with the help of an older calmer sow. It's always nice to have a support system to lean on.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:08 am

Oh, he is precious. Funny how that line of black is so sharp and distinct. Baby looks so huge next to him! I hope she starts feeling better, soon.

Oh, best wishes with them.

When do you head out on vacation? What a killer!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:14 am

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all (including LER). We go on vacation Saturday and will take these two with us. We'll take turns staying home with them.

One of the tricky parts is that me and John both have to go in to work. My workplace is very close but they are getting weird lately -- "face time" has become nearly as important as getting your job done.

Ledasmom

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:54 am

Are you sure? We can do hand feedings and so forth here if you'd rather we take them during your vacation. Not a problem either way. Do you want me to take Whiskers in any case?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:29 pm

Does Baby have milk? If Milky was premature, she may not have any even if he can figure out what to do with a nipple.

I want to say there's a drug that can be given to stimulate incipient milk production. I can't remember what it's called.

Regardless, I think you're doing an amazing job with all of them.

" ... "face time" has become nearly as important as getting your job done."

Ugh. Know that situation. I hope you can thoroughly enjoy a well-deserved vacation.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:57 pm

Best of luck with those precious piggies. Baby and her baby are adorable.

Ledasmom

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:24 am

I suspect, actually, that a needleless syringe would work as a piggie milk pump, since early breast pumps for women were more or less of that design. The problem would be inducing letdown.
I wonder if a little of the KMR on her nipples might induce him to associate them with food?

Ledasmom

Post   » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:25 am

Would you believe I actuallly found an article describing a guinea-pig milking machine, with pictures?
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/44/4/585