Elsie's ugly teeth

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00 am

I just wanted to say we're thinking of you. I hope these bugs go away soon. This must be so frustrating.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:03 am

We are thinking of yall too. What a frustrating mess!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:01 pm

"Annabelle is itching like crazy despite Ivermectin and Revolution applied topically."

If I remember from my childhood (a very long time ago), you can have an allergic response to chiggers. As much as they bit me I never did and was glad of it.

Perhaps Annabelle is having more of a reaction, or a different kind of reaction, to the bites than Elsie. Maybe try Benadryl or even veterinary Valium for her?

This is starting to sound like Jasper all over again. Ugh.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:48 pm

"This is starting to sound like Jasper all over again. Ugh."

Hey, good memory! What a nightmare that was! I hear he is still doing well (just asked the vet tech whose friend adopted him).

When you say to try Benadryl do you mean orally (still have the children's stuff here) or cream on her skin?

I'm going to brave a lymdyp soaking with them. I just haven't decided where and when to do it. I am considering bringing them to a friend's garage while I set off flea bombs here so that when we return the place is "clean"?

Another theory I have is that the raccoon that is visiting my deck nightly may be the carrier of the chiggers. He clawed my beach towel and left it crumpled on my outdoor rug. Both the towel and outdoor rug were brought inside and left in my dining room. I did throw the towel out and last night put the rug back out on the deck. I threw out all the girls blankets and towels. There is a have-a-heart trap on my deck for tonight. If the raccoon gets trapped then he will be moved a few miles away from here.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:09 pm

I do hope the LymDyp works well. The smell may be bad, but it's much better than dealing with those nasty chiggers!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:12 pm

Careful of the 'coon. You don't need rabies along with the chiggers.

I'd use the children's oral Benadryl. Ours have had varied reactions to it, from sleepy to effective to a little hyper. If it were me I'd start with a low end dose, though it is reportedly well tolerated in guinea pigs:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37522

My gut hunch is to recommend against a flea bomb, though I've never used them and so don't know what exactly is safe and how to use them. My main concern would be you, Elsie and Annabelle coming back in too soon, before your home has thoroughly aired out. I thought they needed more than a couple of hours to detoxify, but I do *not* know for sure.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:09 pm

I think Talishan may be onto something with the benedryl. Hope the bomb works for you (I am a total wimp when it comes to flea bombs and have been toughing it out with my flea problem, getting rid of them one flea drowning at a time).

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:41 am

I'd be sure not to return to the house many hours more than recommended if I decide to bomb the house.

I'll give Annabelle the Benadryl when I get home from work so I can keep an eye on her.

The raccoon is in the cage this morning....Bye Bye!!!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:08 am

The more I think about this horrid situation the more I think Elsie brought the chiggers home from the vet. My biting/itching began when she came home and began living in my room.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:44 am

Ugh, just wanted to say good luck getting rid of these bugs!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:54 pm

You could broach the subject with your vet. Surely he or the staff would know if there were a problem.

Ditto on the hope you will get rid of them!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:02 pm

"Surely he or the staff would know if there were a problem."

When I ran it by her she ignored it and when I told the vet tech my suspicion she wrote it off saying that they wash the areas down between pets. There is always the possibility that didn't happen.

Who knows all the surfaces and places Elsie was in or on over the course of the three days she spent there. I still think its plausible and likely.