A Wink and a Wheek

gpgrandma
Supporter in '07

Post   » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:05 am

What a great family you have! Best wishes on a wonderful life all together!

Acanoffleas

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:34 am

All the boys are scheduled for a vet visit this week. I *think* we might have a mite problem (might mite...har har). They're itching more than usual, and Brick has had some dandruff and is shedding more than I'd like to see. I toiled with the thought of treating it myself, but I figured it'd be better to take them to the doc anyhow, if just for the sake of having an annual check up.

Last night we had a butt-cleaning session. Oh how those boars get messy...

Afterwards, everyone seemed pretty pooped (ha!) and lounged around the couch watching TV and pondering the meaning of life:

And because the big-guy is out of the office today and tomorrow is a holiday (WOO!) here are some more silly pictures where mom had fun with Photoshop:

Bear is smiling. I think this was probably taken BEFORE the butt cleaning.

Piggies on pillows:

Mo being his cute self:

Mortar showing a little hand:

And Brick getting fed up with Mom putting a camera in his face:

Acanoffleas

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:41 am

Well, the boys had a successful vet visit. I took them to a different vet than the one I had used previously (a friend of mine had a bad experience there with her piggie, and after hearing other horror stories I decided to find another one), and I'm pleased with him. I took all four boys with me, and they were welcomed with smiles. Bear and Mo were old pros, but Mortar was absolutely petrified, as was Brick. Brick kept trying to burrow in my shirt.

The doc talked to me before thoroughly examining the boys, and I tried to subtly get the point across that I was relatively familiar with guinea pigs and guinea pig health - I told him I wanted to treat the boys myself with Ivermectin but didn't feel confident enough in figuring the dosage out. I also told him that Bear and Mo had previously been treated for lice and mites with Revolution (back when we first got them) and it was effective. He told me about a conference he recently attended where studies showed selamectin (Revolution) was turning out to be an ideal treatment for lice and mites in rodents. Of course, it's not regularly promoted for rodents because Revolution's target audience is cat and dog owners. He showed me the handbooks he received at the conference and also talked me through how he calculated dosage for all the boys. Of course, the real point of me writing all this is to say that I'm very pleased with this vet. He was open to my opinions and questions, and seemed to have a good grasp on cavy knowledge and treatment.

All the boys had their Revolution treatments (and I have the 2nd dose for two weeks from now) and thorough check ups. Everyone is healthy, coming in between 2.2 lbs and 3.1 lbs. Brick had his front teeth filed even (I verified he wasn't taking any length, but just evening them out...I have NO idea how Brick's teeth got that way). Bear had a sore on his back - looks like the boys are getting into it when we're not home. Mo had one too, but it was mostly healed. *sigh* Oh those piggies. We may have to remove the ramp to keep them separated (even though only Mo and Bear use it...why they would go downstairs when Brick is being bossy is beyond me). They seem to be fine when we're around, sharing food, laying with each other, etc. So who knows.

The next step: butt baths. Ever since adding Brick to the group. all the boys' grease glands have been in overdrive. Anybody have any secret remedies on dissolving the gunk? I'm planning on using Palmolive...

rshevin

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:30 am

I've tried every remedy in the book for boar gunk. The best thing I've found is to first use something really oily, be it mineral oil, coconut oil, or something similar and let it sit for several minutes. The longer the better. I prefer coconut oil because it's non-toxic so the pigs don't have to be towel wrapped while the oil is sitting. Oh, oil goes onto a DRY pig.

Then you have the task of getting rid of the cleanser. You can try bunny bath, dish soap, or Malaseb (a veterinary shampoo available online). I've never used the Malaseb but Mum swears by it and says it can eve do the original de-gunking alone.

So glad you found a good vet. A vet who already knows about the uses of Revolution is rare indeed.

LynniePig

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:19 pm

Love your pigs and pics. The cage looks great too!

guineapigbillie

Post   » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:08 pm

cute piggies

Acanoffleas

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:02 am

Holy cow, we've had quite the weekend. Our crazy pigs have been doing pretty well. Brick has a tendency to have moments of machismo, where he just runs around the cage and pushes everybody else around. Particularly Mo. We took to separating him from the group when he got overly pushy. Dan had Mo out on his lap on Friday and I noticed his eye looked a bit "funny." Well, after closer inspection and much frantic browsing on GL, I figured he had some sort of serious injury incurred from a Brick Confrontation. So upstairs Brick went - and stayed. We got Mo into the vet the next morning and the doc concurred he had an eye injury (he did a stain and Mo's cornea was scratched). He gave us some eye drops to give him 3x daily for 10 days. Mo seems fine in spirit, though, which is good. He's eating and playing as usual. I've been weighing him, and his weight is steady. The only real difference I notice is when I have him out of the cage - he lays with me, which isn't really like him at all. He's normally off exploring and doesn't like to be held to snuggle. The "mom" part of me is touched by the gesture that he feels comfortable just laying down with me and being completely vulnerable. The logical part of me is worried by it. To top it off, his eye just seems to keep getting cloudier - I called the vet this morning to confirm if this is normal, so hopefully I'll get a call back by this afternoon - the doc was in surgery today.

Meanwhile, Brick seems to actually be enjoying his penthouse suite. He has the 2nd floor all to himself, and he can see down into the first floor where everyone else is. He has his own pigloo, pillow/girlfriend, and cuddle cup. He's rolling in it, man. He's very attentive to what's going on outside the cage as well - I've noticed him watching when I sit with Mo to give him his eye drop. I wonder what he's thinking...

Dan and I are pet sitting for our friends this week while they're on vacation. Luckily they live just down the street, so it's just a quick jaunt away. But that's two more cats and one big Boston Terrier to keep an eye on. Oye vey. What. A. Wheek.

Acanoffleas

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:47 am

Thankfully, the week has gotten better with time. Our friends' pets have been battling fleas for awhile, and it figures that when their parents go out of town the fleas attempt to make a raging comeback. I can literally see the little suckers running through the fur on one of the cat's faces. Poor baby. I went out and bought flea collars, a flea comb, and some brewer's yeast/garlic supplements. I'm going to take their dog for a bath tomorrow at my salon (at PetsyesIworkthereMart). I also dusted the rooms with Borax. I have no idea if any of this stuff will help, but I have to hope that it will. Hopefully when their mom and dad get home they can give them their Frontline treatments (I have no idea if they even have any in stock right now, otherwise I'd do it myself).

Mo has a follow up appointment with the vet today to check on the progress with his eye. I think it looks much better. It's still cloudy, but not as bad as it was. I keep meaning to post pictures of it, but I forget to grab my camera cord to bring with me to work. I can definitely tell he's acting more himself, being IMPOSSIBLE to catch in the cage, making lots of little chirps when being held, etc. I'm going to have Mo with me here at work briefly before his vet appointment. I'm going to pick him up during my late lunch hour, bring him back to the office for about 1/2 an hour, then leave directly for the vet. That should be fun. Wish us luck.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:07 pm

Try my handy flea trap. I have others using glass pie plates but like my white pie plate best because you can see them better. I am using a 15 watt bulb and have some florescents in the other two trap lights. This is incandescent.

Note: there are fleas and bitty spiders in it!

Acanoffleas

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:10 am

Well, it's been a while since I've updated on the gang. I know ya'll like pictures, but my camera has gone MIA.

Our friends are actively treating their flea problem, and I think they're finally getting the upper hand. Meanwhile, I've been a bit paranoid that I'd bring the fleas back with us, but thankfully so far so good. :)

Mo's eye has completely healed. I'm incredibly grateful for that. Bear's poop problems seemed to have sorted themselves out. The doc agreed with me that it was more likely a dietary issue, and she gave us a gentle stool softener to give to Bear when he has problems. I'm not keen on messing with their GI tracts, so we only ended up giving it to him twice, and he's been doing great since.

So, overall the gang is doing well. Mortar is approaching on his first birthday, and we've definitely seen a change in his personality. He's gotten more aggressive. I'd say about two weeks ago, you'd look in the cage and see Mo chasing Mortar around. Now it's the other way around. I've seen Bear and Mortar "play" fighting, and I've convinced myself that Bear has been teaching him how to stand up for himself and be more assertive. Well...it's working! Only Mo isn't so keen on the change, and I've found quite a few bite marks on Mortar's rump. I'm a bit paranoid that he's going to end up not getting along with Bear and Mo, but I'm hoping and praying that it's just a phase he's working through. Lord...I don't want to have to separate him, too.

Which brings me to Brick. Oh boy. He's so funny. He knows exactly how to play me, too. He'll sit up in his loft, watching the boys play below, and he'll run around trying to follow them, wheeking, digging at the floor trying to get down to them. And I think "Oh man, he's lonely." So I figure we'll try some one-on-one floor time. Nope. Not happening. Floor time quickly turns into rolling-ball-of-fur time. Brick is just so darn aggressive. But when he's with me he's a mama's boy. Like, cries-when-I-walk-away mama's boy, and licks my fingers and face mama's boy. Ironically, the only other animal he seems to tolerate is the cat, and even Shadow isn't so keen on that.

Acanoffleas

Post   » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:34 am

Well wouldn't you know that the husband had the camera at his office. HA! We took a "mini-moon" in DC this past weekend, and I respectfully requested he remembered to bring the camera home.

SO! It's now September, and Mortar is *officially* one year old. Happy birthday Mortar!

I recently bought a "dog bed" from work that was made of the same material as the favored red pillow. This thing is huge in comparison to the pigs, but they STILL fight over who's king of the mountain. Here's Mort with it all to himself:

And last but not least, I think I finally figured out why Mo and Brick don't get along. Mo caught Brick "in the act":

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:14 pm

Happy Birthday Mort Man, you and I share the same birthday month!
Hope your mommy will shower you with lots of yummy treats and cuddly hugs. :)

Acanoffleas, you two look so happy together. :)