Elsie's ugly teeth

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:44 pm

"Who knows all the surfaces and places Elsie was in or on over the course of the three days she spent there."

I would tend to agree with you, especially since chiggers apparently (to say the least) aren't species-specific. Dog, cat, human, guinea pig, hedgehog, rescued wildlife -- any or everything could have brought them into the vet's office.

They'll never admit there's a possibility she got them there, though. Sure they wash the areas down between pets, but three days is a long time, a lot of surfaces, and techs are human. Stuff can be missed, especially if they get a couple of emergencies in a row or something like that.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:17 pm

Okay, I think I have a plan. Saturday I strip down the cage and throw out the bedding and the rest of the blankets/towels that the girls are using. Then, I'll clean the cage and spray it with the diluted Ivermectin.

Then, I'll take the girls out on my deck and wash them down with the LymDyp and then put them in the clean spare cage I have. I'll leave them in there until they dry off and then put them back in their regular cage.

IF I still find the chiggers on Elsie then I'll arrange to leave the house with them and have the house bombed or hire an exterminator to do it.

Then, I'll return with the girls when it's safe and bathe them again in LymDyp and hope it's all over.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:20 pm

Okay, the exterminator can't come until Wednesday at 10:00a.m. He is going to use a spray for chiggers that can be used indoors.

I figure I'd give the girls there's lymDyp bath in the morning before he gets there and then put them in the carrier.
Then when the exterminator arrives I'll pay him and then drive to my mom's house for 2 hrs and then return home with the girls.

I got Elsie's ultrasound report. Her diagnosis is Mitral Valve Endocardiosis/Left Atrial Enlargement/Mitral Insufficiency.

I'm not sure how much time we have left together but I want to be able to hold her so I want the chiggers gone!! And poor Annabelle is scratching. She needs relief too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:38 pm

I am sure you want these bugs out of your house. I'm sorry you're having to deal with them along with her illness.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:59 am

Gosh, I really wish you could get rid of those things without all this trouble and having to deal with stinky LymDip and who knows what else. I'm really sorry Elsie is fighting these bugs along with her heart trouble. Good luck. Thinking of you.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:09 am

Well, the girls got their LymDyp bath yesterday morning. I did it in the bathroom and I have to say although it stunk real bad it wasn't terrible. I then took them out of the house when the exterminator came. I sprayed lots of air freshner and that helped a lot.

Elsie has stopped eating but will take critical care and water if I syringe it to her. Frankly, I expected her to pass any minute but she keeps on going!

I think she has some loose tooth matter at this point but i'm not inclined to bring her in just yet to see the vet. She's been grinding her teeth and when I think the stuff is a little looser I'll bring her in to have him take them out.

I did find one chigger on her last night O:(. I just can't win.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:17 am

I do hope that lymdyp does the job.

And I'm sorry to hear Elsie's doing so poorly - I know how hard that must be on you.

somechick

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:26 pm

I have never encountered a chigger in my life, so I don't think I'd know one if I saw one. I cannot believe the madness you are going through here. As if Elsie's health isn't important enough, now this. I'm so sorry.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:34 pm

We're still thinking of you and the girls. Elsie is an amazing pig!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:15 am

Elsie is like the energizer bunny! I found her eating pellets again on her own at 4:00 this morning. So, I left lettuce by her along with hay and found her eating it a few hours later. She doesn't move much from where she sits and sleeps in the cage. I think she is a little weak.

Unfortunately I saw a chigger moving on the towel she sits on. I just don't know what else to do at this point!

Today after work I will throw out the pellets in the dish, clean it and open a new bag. I will throw out the newspaper and bedding and open a new bag of carefresh (again)!

Does the LymDyp keep working? I can still smell it on them.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:23 am

I seem to remember something about lymdip needing to be reapplied every few days - maybe 3 days?

It sure smells as if it should work for a week, but somewhere on the forum I'm pretty sure I read about a vet recommendation for reapplication on a fairly regular basis.

How much lotensin is Elsie on? Is she on a twice daily dose?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:32 am

The bottle says to re-apply in 5-7 days. Of course I would do it in 5 days!

Elsie's lasix dose is .3cc twice/day and her enalapril dose is .13cc twice/day every other day.