Heat stroke issue

Nailfoot

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:18 pm

Well, I come home to find that my central air has conked out on us. The temperature reads 85 in the house now. What should I do for my piggies comfort? I have the windows open, but hesitate to point a fan in their direction!

rshevin

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:30 pm

You're right, the fan is no good. Luckily it's night and temps will be rapidly going down. The best thing to do is get some empty soda bottles and fill about 80% with water and freeze them. Of course, it's going to take some time for that to occur so if you have something else in the freezer you can wrap in fabric and put in the cage, go ahead and do that now. Make sure they are totally out of the sun. Find the coolest part of the house and move the pigs there. If you have any ceramic tiles or bricks sometimes the pigs will pancake out on those to cool off. My boys will even eat ice cubes. It's going to be imparitive you keep them cool. 85F is about as warm as they can tolerate.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:43 pm

Fans are okay. Probably not needed yet though. Some nice cool bricks or flat stones maybe? Wet down all the vegs really well make sure there is lots of water.

Ledasmom

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:46 pm

Fans are good once the outside temperature drops below the inside temperature, though. I have also heard of putting ice cubes in the water bottles, but haven't tried it myself as they would have to be darn near crushed to go through the necks.

Nailfoot

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:51 pm

I have crushed ice in the frig ice maker. I am gonna do that right now. I also have water in the frig, so I can give them cold water.