Request for heart pig stories

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:36 pm

So it is currently not available to you? Your note makes it sound like it would surely be worth trying.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:48 am

It is not available to me and the report says it is an alternative if the meds being used to treat congestive heart failure do not work. So far the meds she is on are doing their job.

macepeki

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:43 am

Sunny died on Saturday night. She had been a more or less okay since the last check up at the vets, but on Saturday morning she refused her food and her breathing was more laboured. We took her straight to the vet. Her lungs had filled up with fluid and the weather had been very changing and demanding on her little heart. We tried everything we could, but she finally died in our arms. We let Nina cuddle up with her to say her goodbyes. We miss you our little sun..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:33 pm

I am so terribly sorry, macepeki.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:28 pm

Sundae

1. Breed - Peruvian - tricolor rescued intact male age unknown

2. Rattling in chest, hooting, difficulty breathing, weight loss

3. On Lotensin and Lasix

4. X-ray showed enlarged heart

5. Severe scurvy with related teeth and heart issues. Humanely euthanized due to congestive heart failure.

PigWorrier

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:43 pm

Baby Joey has been stable on 1.25 mg of Enalapril twice a day. So he gets a total of 2.5 mg of enalapril a day. I wanted to update as he has maintained at this dose for quite a few months.
His breathing is labored on ocassion and he has his incisors filed every 3 weeks. He also is receiving metacam every morning for arthritis and the metacam does lower the effectiveness of the enalapril. Baby Joey is now 5 years and 7 mos. old. I still take every day he is here with me as a gift. He is minimally gassy and enjoys a good quality of life.
below were his previous stats I had posted.

1 - Abyssnian/5 year old/male
2 - chronic gas/hooting/pea eye/deep sleeper-sleeps with eyes closed/lap pig/lost his wheek/trouble waking up last time under anesthetic
3 - xray showed enlarged hard reaching almost past 4th rib
4 - enalapril 0.5 mg once a day
5 - by 2nd night gas reducing/more energy-running around play area with more zest/3rd night didn't want to cuddle on chest - too energetic to cuddle :O)
6 - has been on reglan to help with the chronic gas/hoping to reduce the reglan and eliminate it/meloxicam for arthiritis on his knee which showed on xray/every since a tooth break in december his incisors need to be trimmed every few weeks because his bite is now off

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:41 am

1- Ling Ling, Texel, age unknown suspected to be 2-4 years old, female

2- Her energy level was very up and down, somedays she would be exhausted, others she would be extremely active. She's a very small pig then had gradual weight loss. She had also been coughing regularly.

3- Multiple X-rays (multiple vets found her heart to be enlarged)

4- Lotensin at 1mg twice a day

5- Energy level is more even, much more perky, starting wheeking and zooming, weight seems more stabilized, begs for food now and she also sleeps much better

6- Cataracts, chronic dry eye, dry skin, possible asthma (unsure about that now that we know about her heart)

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:34 am

Sylvester;
1. American, boar, unknown age was geriatric when I got him and had him for two more years. Friend said he looked older than her 8 year old American boar.
2. Tired after floor time, later had trouble breathing.
3. X-ray showed very enlarged heart and a mass in or on bottom half of right lung and fluid in lungs.
4. Vet said not much could be done for him. I wanted to make him as comfortable as possible until his time came. He was put on Furosemide 0.6 CC three times a day (Sylvester was big, about three pounds).
5. He perked up after about three days of treatment and lived for three more months. I had him euthanized when he could no longer swallow his Critical Care.
6. Had lice, impacted bum and was suffering from neglect when I got him. Before that, I don't know.

Gordy;
1. Skinny, boar age 4 1/2
2. Very labored breathing.
3. X-ray showed fluid around heart, completely obscured heart.
4. Enicard 1/2 mg. once daily and Furosemide 0.4 CC three times a day.
5. Gordy was himself after two days of treatment. He lived three more weeks and died suddenly with only a few minutes warning.
6. None, he was robust and healthy until this.

Dinah

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:47 pm

1. Silkie - 18 months - intact male

2. Slow, laboured breathing, came on overnight- no other symptons - vet said URI and prescribed baytril. But after 4 days with no change I looked on guinealynx and saw his heart could be the cause/problem. His weight and appetite remained normal throughout.
Vet accepted this possibility - though in UK heart problems not considered, or treated, in guineapigs! and agreed to follow guinealynx doseages.

3. Only diagnostics done was stethoscope for lungs on first and only vet appointment - said lungs sounded congested, hence URI diagnosed.

4. Fortekor (1.25mg) and frusomide (10mg) twice daily.

5. Nose pinked up after one dose. His breathing became faster and less effort as the days went by, and his activity rate went up a little on what it'd been.
Now it's been 18 days since first vet visit. His breathing is still 'visible' compared to his very healthy partner's.

6. He was licking his mineral/salt lick a lot more than usual prior to this happening. He would eat a couple of pumpkin or sunflower seeds, then have a lick, then have a couple more seeds. On guinealynx advice I've removed it, and am giving him fewer seeds.

pinta

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:45 pm

4. Fortekor (1.25mg) and frusomide (10mg) twice daily.

The Furosemide dose is way too high.

Dosage should be 2-5mg/kg every 12 hours.For our pigs, the maintenance dose is 5mg/kg once a day.

You run the risk of dehydrating your pig and stressing the kidneys on too high a dose.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Ditto - that dose is way over the top. The max I *ever* give is 5mg/kg, and even then only if a pig is rattling badly.

If you give a dose as high as that I believe it's immediately to be followed with a subcue.

Dinah

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:56 pm

Thanks very much. I now give him the much lower 2.5mg of furosemide, compounded with the fortekor, twice a day with a few drops of soya milk and syringe orally.
His weight has not changed throughout these three weeks - he weighs 3 lbs (1.4kg).

His body still shows the effort, but not quite as hardgoing, 120 times a minute now, as against 60 when he was first poorly.