Sundae

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:21 pm

I think I mentioned to you that I used to feed Sundae about a teaspoon of oats mixed with pumpkin and cc, twice daily. He loved them.

These were steel cut oats, which are very tiny - not the same as rolled oats (I buy them from Trader Joe's).

klynne

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:22 pm

I've used both oats (rolled, whole) and sunflower seeds for emaciated pigs and bunnies. I've also used flax meal--it's great for fatty acids and Omega's.

Once they were at a more normal weight, we weaned onto a more balanced and traditional diet.

With Sundae's issues, I guess I see this as hospice care.

Worrying over whether sunflower seeds or whatever is not generally recommended reminds me of worrying over a terminal cancer patient getting addicted to pain meds.

Glad Lynx pointed it out, for lurkers who might be thinking, "Oh, I can feed any pig lots of seeds and maybe some of the kiddo's Gummi bears, too," but for Sundae, I'd do what works, and what he'll eat.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:42 pm

Klynne,

Thanks for the advice. I agree that feeding him whatever he will eat is the best thing. Actually, he does not have a tumor or any growths, just really bad teeth issues. I had him checked out thoroughly and nothing showed up, thank heavens.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:44 pm

Rolled oats seem just as controversial as the sunflower seeds but I have a pig who I need to put weight on too so if you find something that's GI safe and works, please, do tell!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:51 pm

Actually, he does not have a tumor or any growths,
Um, you had neither an xray nor an ultrasound.

I've told you I'll show/send you Sundae's xray.

Without having any of these tests done, or seeing the xray I had done, you don't have all the information I thought I had passed on to you.

A gross physical check is obviously inadequate for detecting most issues, as you know.

There's nothing I'd like better than to hear that the growth shown on xray is benign.

klynne

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:56 pm

Mum, just for us learners here, is there any way you can post Sundae's Xray on the thread?

Gosh, even benign tumors can kill, though, based on size and location.

I also hope Sundae is free of these issues. He is a really special little guy.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:02 pm

I'll have to pick it up from the vet's office and take a pic - will try to do that tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:02 pm

If you use oats, try to use the least refined type to get the most fiber and nutrients.

Oats are starchy and should also be used carefully. They can be used in good quality pellets (they are one of the ingredients in KM's pellets). What you do is look at the whole diet. If a pig was not eating pellets, I think a small amount of oats could be acceptable for a normal pig.

Just remember variety and moderation.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:21 pm

My lightweight pig does get pellets as well as pellet mush and pumpkin most nights in my lap (it's nice bonding time and healthy, a double good whammy). That's why I'm so hesitant to go with oats.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:33 pm

Thanks for all of the great ideas and advice. I appreciate all of the help. This is such a wonderful place to get information! You all have been so helpful! I was at a loss what to do in this situation.

I actually found a baby food with sweet potatoes and corn, which he loves. I gave him some rolled oats which he also liked, but he doesn't eat enough on his own to put on the weight very fast. It's interesting that he is putting on some meat over his ribs and shoulders, even though the scale isn't showing a big increase. The additional Meticam is helping because he is now trying to eat more hay. When I syringe feed him he chews the CC like it was regular food, so it takes forever to get it in him, but he seems comfortable.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:14 pm

First of all, congratulations on your latest addition!
And... oops, nothing to add to the "medical part" of the thread. :)

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:37 pm

Momo,

Thanks! I guess I now qualify as having a herd! Who would have thought!?