I'm so angry and sad right now!

Piggywig

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:52 pm

I've gone into supply stores that sell pets and they have been sorry that I did. It was right after my little male gp Cupid died, and I went in to a Petco for cat things and looked at the pigs, and there was a dead pig under a pigloo and a very sick one in there with it. And it was not good.

I will not go into all of the details of how I freaked on them and how it all went down, but when I got home there were local managers calling me and regional and district managers calling me, all apologizing to me and thanking me (ha!) for being so helpful in noticing these problems and helping them have a better store, blah blah.

They said the sick pig would be taken to the vet they use the next day. SO... the next day I call and use a sweet voice and talk to a cashier, and tell her I've got a sick gp, and where should I take it, and she told me the vet they use, and I called that vet and checked up on them. And they had taken the gp to the vet.

The manager called me again and apologized, and thanked me (I know it was like gargling with insecticide), and although I had no intention of ever going back to that store, I told him I'd be back and I'd keep checking things out.

Sometimes you've got to make a fuss. A big one. You've got to be the intimidating bitch that a guinea pig would be if it were 5 foot 4. I want to make them say, "damn, it's easier to take the guinea pig to the vet and fix the cage than to deal with this hideous pale woman who will not leave me alone and keeps asking for the district and regional managers' numbers and wants to report me to societies that deal with cruelty to animals."

I don't know if the humane society or PETA would do anything, but the pet store people don't know that.

I check things out at Petsmart too, sometimes I have to go there for hay, and I must say, the one I go in does a pretty good job. The pigs have hay, orange sections, plain pellets. But last time I was in there I got them to pull out a little male with crust around his eye and a nip on his ear -- so I got the manager and showed him and he sighed -- I think he remembers me -- and the little pig went to the vet the next day.

Sometimes a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do...

crazypiggie247
The Herd Of Wonders

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:21 pm

Amen Piggywig! They just opened a terrible pet store in our local mall that uses a puppy mill. I almost got kicked out of the mall because I was telling people how horrible puppy mills are and all that. The people from the pet store called mall security. Little did they know that I new ALL of the security officers from when I managed a Claire's in the mall a couple years back. They just laughed and said "are you the one causing all the problems?!" The manager of the pet store came out and starting yelling at me and the guards. It's was a site.

Weaver: I LOVE Petedge's website. I actually get a lot of the cat/small dog stuff for my rabbit. Great prices too!

Sonaa

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:02 am

Heeey! I have a better place to shop here in Tucson, AZ.

I go to Ok Feed & Supply!
I got timothy hay, large bag ( they bag it there from bales) for $2.99 and bermuda bag ( as much as you can stuff into a big bag ) for $.50.
Bales : Timothy - I think she said $24
Bermuda - $12

They are nice there. They do make their own guinea pig food. It's plain with just a label of ingredients. I didn't buy any though because it had beet pulp. Overall the ingredients aren't any worse than buying it at a pet store. Might be better because they are handmade. I'm going to continue to buy from oxbow or KM on the pellets and one day try the blue grass. But I would suggest there for less animal cruelty and yummy hay!

When grabbing out the Timothy it was very soft and I didn't get stuck in the hand with hard stems. Very pleasant experience compared to petno hay ( very hard and hurt my hand to put it out). They have hay all year round due to ideal weather conditions here. My piggys popped themselves silly to eat it. So if you need to go grab stuff stuff here in town, I suggest it. They have regular pet stuff for all kinds of pets... Especially nice bird and horse stuff.

Also here's a link to it!

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:44 am

I'm lucky that my local pet store is an independent and doesn't sell animals at all. I would be the same, worrying constantly about all the animals. I have a far too vivid imagination - I end up even thinking about the homes they will go to and how they probably won't be looked after properly etc etc.

*shudder*

LandosMomma

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:15 pm

I order my things online now. I have been part of a crusade to shut down the Heartland pet store here in Erie. I have a habit fo going there and making a terrible scene. I am not allowed to go into any pet store unsupervised. I just want to scoop them all up and take them. I have been very tempted to steal them at times.