Guinea Pigs need our help!

Henle15

Post   » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:26 pm

As a former petco employee I can tell you that they do not discourage you from selling anything. They want you to give the people whatever it says on the caresheet and more if they will buy it. If the higher ups really discouraged it, then why dont they stop carrying them or have signs hanging that say not to buy them for chins and guinea pigs.

Many of the higher ups that I have dealt with while an employee had no idea about the small animals that they carry. They are there for the business aspect not the animal care aspect. Many of the higher ups have no background in animals, only business. Just because you own an animal does not mean you know anything about it. You have to do more than just read one book and own the animal to know about it.

Also the Hamster part is seperate from the critter run. But I think going to individual stores may help because some of the managers at some of the stores do care!! Just not enough of them!!!

kazmeyer

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:51 am

Totally missed this thread the first time around. What we're trying to put together is actual first-hand stories about pigs who've been injured in exercise balls - we all know they're bad, but to stand any chance of getting through to these morons I think we need actual evidence. Does anyone have any direct experience with injuries caused by these things?

allcreatures

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:08 am

Kaz you rock, thanks so much for helping me with my search.

If I can get personal stories about injuries or illnesses, or vet statements, or policy statements giving data about injuries, or other "hard proof" on why this is bad, I think I can create a fairly effective directed campaign against this. Alternatively I'll try to get statements from vets that this is a bad idea.

I do have two pigs with missing/injured toes that I can't *actually* ascribe to ball use, but I can certainly use them as actors portraying pigs who have been injured by balls...

kazmeyer

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:28 pm

Unfortunately, so far all I've got is stories like mine - bought a ball, stuck a pig in it, pig just sat there, googled "guinea pig exercise ball", felt horrified, threw the damn thing away, apologized with lots of veggies.

(Although it was that google search that led me here, so the ball was good for one thing at least.)

amptondooz

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:11 pm

Well, I got exactly the same reply when I complained.

MotaroRIP

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:47 pm

I got the same Email, wow they suck. I'm going to reply with something.

Henle15

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:08 pm

I think they may be starting to get the hint. I received a call from the corporate office today but I was busy at work and missed the call. They left a voicemail and basically told me that were forwarding the message to the proper people. So at least I got a call and not just an email. I will be calling them back and talking with them so I will keep you posted. Please keep emailing them or writing a letter. My girlfriend and I are making shirts that have the poster on them. I will keep you informed about how to go about doing that for cheap in the next few days. Again keep pushing and helping out maybe we can make them change their minds!!

MotaroRIP

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:29 pm

What should I send as a reply message? The email left a bad taste in my mouth. If you want to write a reply, I'll send it. I know that is asking a lot, but you wrote an awesome one the first time!

land_hermie

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:34 am

Apparently, they use a template:
Dear Landhermie,

Thank you for sharing your concern about the upcoming Hamster Ball Derby and Critter Run.

Our concerns, like yours, include animal care and safety at all our events. In planning the upcoming race event, we took into account the following considerations:

* We’ve conducted national Hamster Ball Derbies several times without a single health or safety incident. Last March, for example, more than 12,000 hamsters raced at PETCO stores nationwide with no reports of health risks or problems among participating animals or pet parents.
* Customers who enjoyed those previous, incident-free hamster race events requested that we allow other animals to participate.
* We asked our chief veterinarian and Animal Care & Education team for their recommendation about allowing other animals to participate. They said it would be safe to allow mice, gerbils, rats, chinchillas and guinea pigs to race as well, as long as all small animals race in appropriately sized exercise balls.
* Our store associate training guide for this event states the importance of keeping different species from mixing together; properly cleaning and disinfecting the race track; and ensuring customers rest their pets between race heats.
* Our event brochures encourage customers to hold “training sessions” with their pets at home to help ensure their small animals will be comfortable in the hamster balls and be able to participate.
* Participants clearly see their pets as part of the family and enjoy these all-for-fun competitions as another way to celebrate the human-animal bond.

We appreciate and share your concern. Pet safety is a top priority at our store events and in all we do at PETCO. We are proud of our record and will continue to take prudent steps to ensure the upcoming derby and critter run is a fun and safe event for all participants.

Sincerely,

Bonnie M.
Customer Relations Coordinator

At PETCO, Animals Always Come First... Our People Make it Happen!

Annie K

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:42 pm

I e-mailed again and told them not to bother sending the template reply but a real answer from a person; this is what I received:

Dear Ann Marie,

Thank you for contacting me again regarding the upcoming Hamster Derby.

Although the original response was a pre-written one, it did still come from a live person. I certainly understand your concerns. Please know that all of the concerns are being addressed by the proper departments.

Thank you again for contacting PETCO. Please know that we care about our customers and what they think of us. By letting us know when we fall short of your expectations, we have the opportunity to address your concerns and to be better prepared to meet your expectations in the future. Please contact us if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Bonnie M.
Customer Relations Coordinator

This "Bonnie M" must be really busy typing all these responses, huh? I don't know what is meant by directing my concerns to the proper people, but at least it was a different reply than the first one. Let's keep pounding at them - we'll wear them out!

MotaroRIP

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:00 pm

Thank you for your pre-written, and recycled response. Please do not brush this issue under the table, and think about what you are doing. This event is fine for hamsters, who are made for this sort of thing. However, it is not fine for guinea pigs, who have backs that will easily snap. I know people who have guinea pigs, and rats feel that they are a special part of their family. Do you think they want their backs to be broke? Or for these animals to die of heat strokes? You all know that the balls are unfit for these animals, and yet you're going to go through with this plan. The only people who benefit from the selling of these products are those who make them, and those who sell them.

That is what I wrote them just now, probably not good enough, but I'm curious as to what they will say.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:25 pm

I take it some of you have pointed out that their OWN pamphlets warn that those rolling wheels can be problems?

"Exercise wheels and plastic balls may cause injury to guinea pigs ..."

What do you want to bet they pull their pdf and change it to suit their "new and improved" opinion?