Different Breeds of Guinea Pigs (A Breeders view)

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:53 pm

Maremma-

Yes and no.

There is a Pink eye gene. That determines whether the pig has dark eyes (brown, grey, etc) or light eyes (pink). That Pink eye gene also has an effect on the dolution of colors.

For example, a pig that his red all over and has dark eyes will just be a self red. A pig that's red all over but who has pink eyes will be slightly different. The pink eye gene will dilute the red color to a more orange tint. That pig will be called a self orange.

And then there is the ruby eyes, which are dark but turn reddish in the light. When a pig has chocolate hair, his eyes are always ruby. That's also true for other colors.

So hair color and eye color really depend on one another.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:23 am

When a pig has chocolate hair, his eyes are always ruby.

That explains Widget's eyes!

briciolona

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:07 am

This is Edwin, my friend's pig

I think He is an american satin, any other suggestion?

And this is Kaomi, Edwin's fiancee!

rshevin

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:20 am

Edwin is shiny but I don't think he's a satin. Kaomi looks tiny, too tiny to be away from mom. I hope your friend isn't breeding them?

briciolona

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:27 am

Edwin is shiny but I don't think he's a satin. Kaomi looks tiny, too tiny to be away from mom. I hope your friend isn't breeding them?
This was a younger kaomi's pic!I decided to post this one because of her blue eye!:-)

This pic has been taken in a shelter!She is an adopted guinea pig!

Edwin is neutered! We are against breeding.
Last edited by briciolona on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ledasmom

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:32 am

My goodness, Kaomi looks like two pompoms stuck together. What a cutie!

rshevin

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:57 pm

Wonderful Briciolona. I knew YOU were against breeding but you never know about other people. :-)

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:57 pm

Briciolona, Abby is adorable! I have to admit, a few of those pics of her look like a toupee sitting on a table waiting for the bald head it belongs to. hahahaha!!!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:17 pm

Briciolona, from those new pics you posted, Abby really looks like a Peruvian!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:24 pm

Finally ready to start finding some Marked pigs. I know there are TONS of Broken Colored pigs out there, so I'll look for a variety of combinations to use.

I still would love to have a Beige, Tan, Golden Solid, Dilute Solid, and Brindle (from the other groups) if anyone can dig one up.

So, submit pics for:
Broken Color
Dutch (I need appropriate markings)
Himalayan
Dalmation
Tortoiseshell
Tortoiseshell and White

Here are the pics so far:
Reference Thread

On the Marked pigs, it would be nice to find some checkerboard pigs. Side, top, and belly views are all appreciated.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:28 pm

I have a broken silver agouti (or would he be dutch?) If you would like to use him, I can take another of him, where he is not pretending to be a knick-nack!