Rosie is Limping

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:01 pm

I hope these meds help her. Good luck to you both.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:48 am

Sad to hear Rosie took a turn for the worst but glad you've been able to get a vet who was willing to work with you and get things sorted out with the meds.

I'm guessing your usual vet will be less likely to stall on treatments now. It will help everyone if all the vets involved compared notes, not just for Rosie but for all potential heart pigs.

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:45 pm

Thank you for all the well wishes :)

Rosie is doing much better this morning. In fact it only took around 20 minutes for the Furosemide to fix her breathing right back to normal. She was very tired after all the panicking but she greeted us this morning with a couple of zoomies around her pen which was just amazing to see.

It's too early to tell what effect the medicines have had but she seems much happier which is amazing in its self.

The vet we saw last night was going to get in touch with our usual vet today to keep her up to date. As you say webs, it will be much easier to keep her on the drugs than it was to get her on them in the first place.

Last night I also found out that Rosie has the ability to pee through four whole layers of towels in order to soak my jeans!

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:35 pm

Rosie wanted you to know she still loved you best!

I am thinking of yall.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:59 pm

Oh, Yay! Furosemide is amazing stuff. Between breathing better, and the other meds you have her on, I am hoping you will see a dramatic change for the better very soon.

Trick

Post   » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Haha, yes Rosie loves us very much! She managed to spray Jon's t-shirt with projectile pee a few seconds beforehand too, bless.

We're going to give her floor time this evening and see how she goes, we're up to the full 1mg twice a day of Fortekor tomorrow so I'll keep everyone posted.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:13 pm

I'm SO SO SO glad that she's doing okay!

Trick

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:39 pm

Finally I've managed to log in on this computer (internet is down at home, boo).

Rosie is currently on 1mg of Fortekor twice a day and we are having a break of the Furosemide at the moment to see how she goes without it. If her energy levels dip then we'll put her back on it at the lowest dose that has an effect.

Her energy levels are fantastic! She is back to her old self, the old self that we had really forgotten - which just goes to show how heart symptoms can gradually sneak up on you. She is now wheeking her little head off, the loudest of all but Purdie, and is first out for floor time charging about the place. It is wonderful to see. She is also now happy to be second in command to Gracie, though even as a non-dominant piggie she somehow still manages to call the big house as her own.

I know a couple of other threads are pointing to this one now as I had some e-mails about heart meds in the UK so I really just wanted to say that Rosie is doing amazingly well and I would urge anyone who suspects heart problems to make their vets give them the right drugs asap. Rosie's improvement is really astonishing and she is such a happy girlie now.

One small question that I had is that Rosie has darker fur now under her eyes, like dark circles. I wonder if this could be slightly weepy eyes or her not cleaning her face properly but the only thing that has changed before this happened was taking her off the Furosemide - could this be a cause? Since being on both heart meds her fur is much darker overall, we didn't realise before that when she went lighter it was a sign that all was not well, so I guess it could also just be with her being darker overall that some darker patches are emerging?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:08 pm

Fantastic news on the heart meds - it really can be remarkable to see such a difference!

Can't help you on the fur issue though.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:53 pm

Huzzah on the heart issues. This is such a great thing to here. I am glad you persevered.

Trick

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:11 am

Thank you :) It's wonderful to see her energy levels back up there with the rest of the herd.

I am concerned about the darkening of the hair around her eyes though, it could just be me being paranoid but with all she's been through I'm going to try and get a good photo to post here to see what y'all think. I don't think the hair is thinning but it's harder to tell with her skin being dark. There are certainly no irritated or "wrong" looking bits of skin that I can see, and she doesn't seem bothered by it in the least, but it seems odd that it's so symmetrical on both sides of her face. All hair loss I can read about on here seems to be either on the body if it is cysts or hormonally related, or has scabs if it is a skin problem.

She's also gone back to rumbling ALL the time which is another concern. It could just be now that she's retaken top spot and is making sure everyone knows so we'll give it a week to see if it dies down by itself. We're off to the vets this week for more meds though so I'll get them to do a physical examination while we're there anyway. If it doesn't die down I think we'll get her an ultrasound at a different vets to see what the situation is.

Poor girl, she's been through enough already :(

Trick

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:15 am

Here we go, photos of her face as promised:

The photos make her hair look a bit damp under her eye but it's completely dry and clean - it's just the flash picking out the different colours. You can see the darker hairs quite clearly and how they're making a mask shape over the top of her face and around her ears. I'm inclined to think she is just changing colour for natural reasons as she is darker overall as well, but I'm a worrypot as you all know :)