Sebastian Thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:54 pm

Thanks, tracis. I think I will plan on doing that, just for a little peace of mind.

GP Estates
Supporter in '08

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:32 pm

I have also switched to filtered water for peace of mind, it certainly can't hurt. Sorry for what you're going through Sef, I've (sort of) been where you are and it is extremely frustrating.

I don't know if this will help but recently one of mine hurt himself somehow, out of the blue he was limping and obviously uncomfortable. His situation was different because I was able to give him Metacam but I also gave him a warm spot to lay on and that seemed to help. I think he strained a muscle or something and the heat made him more comfortable. If Bassy is sore for some reason then heat may help him too.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:22 pm

It's interesting. I had to go back by the vet's office again on my way home from work because they had double-billed me last night and I needed to get it straightened out. When I walked in, I recognized a woman who was there last night too with her cat. I said, "Oh no! Ginger's back?" and she replied, "No; this is my other cat. Now they BOTH have it." I asked what "it" was, and she said, "They both have crystals in their urine and are passing blood."

We ending up talking outside the office, and she was telling me about the water around here. She's convinced it has something to do with all of the urinary tract problems her pets have had, and she has decided to switch to bottled. She said, "My husband is retired from the water company and he gets pissed every time I try to tell him that the water around here is no good, but I don't care. It can't be a coincidence..." then she went on to tell me about friends and family members who have had kidney stones or recurring urinary tract problems. Most of her water comes from a different source than mine does, but still -- she was saying how much flouride and goes into it, and how toxic it is if you don't add it correctly. I said, "Well, I know I can't use our water for an aquarium...it has so much ammonia in it already," and she shook her head in agreement, and said, "Well, have you SEEN Lake Patoka right now?" (where my water comes from) "...it looks disgusting."

Yikes.

So starting tonight, the guys are all on purified water.

Bassy is still hopping. I can't help but think the vet did something by mistake. She's always so upfront about things and I really trust her, but...just not sure what has happened.

somechick

Post   » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:20 am

Oh dear, poor Bassy. So what are you to do with the info about the stone? Can anything be done at this point?

I'm sorry you're having to deal with all of this.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:37 am

Thanks. Looks like I will be doing a lot of reading this weekend on stones and supportive care.

Does anyone know if steroids can cause or contribute to the formation of stones? I'm not sure if this applies to Prednisone, but I did find this disturbing bit of information on a page about steroid use in humans:

"Damage to the kidneys includes kidney stones, kidney disease, and kidney malfunctions."

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:51 am

And here is something that I'm finding a little confusing:
It may seem that high dietary calcium could lead to this type of [calcium oxalate] kidney stone. Actually, low calcium intakes are much more likely to lead to calcium oxalate stones and higher calcium intakes to lead to a reduced risk. Apparently, dietary calcium limits the amount of oxalate that is absorbed, and it is excess oxalate that can cause calcium oxalate stones to form. Health care providers may tell people with a history of calcium oxalate stones to limit their use of high oxalate foods and to avoid large doses of vitamin C that can lead to excess oxalate in the urine.
Source: Vegetarian Journal 2006 Issue 3

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:47 pm

I guess this is why we go for balancing intake by maintaining the proper ratio (hopefully this will help).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:35 pm

Good point, Lynx.

Bassy seems a little more himself this evening. Still has a little bit of a limp, but I *think* it seems like less of a hop. I have his mobility somewhat limited right now by partitioning off the cage. I can better monitor input/output this way, too. Doesn't seem to be passing blood at the moment. He is eating pellets fairly well now, and is interested in hay again. Drinking a decent amount of water, too.

Vet wants him on Bactrim for a total 14 days, and suggested upping the Pred to every other day for a while (we had weaned him down to once a week right before these recent symptoms appeared).

I'd feel a lot more optimistic if it weren't for that damned stone.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:41 pm

I'm so happy that he's eating and drinking again. Hopefully your husband is right, and Bassy's leg is just sensitive from the vet visit.

Did your vet think the stone was small enough to pass through his system?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks tracis. No, the stone is too large to pass. I do notice that he's crying a little and lifiting his bottom when he poops this morning, which is something he wasn't doing before.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:10 pm

Bad morning. After feeding, Sebastian starting hunching and crying and seemed unable to pass urine. Our vet wasn't in, but her colleague squeezed us in between other appointments so we rushed him there around 10:30. When we got there, he palpated the bladder and said it didn't appear that the stone was blocking things completely (Bassy did pass frequent, small amounts of urine while we were there), but that it may have shifted and could be positioned just at the opening of the bladder now.

Dr. J suggested giving Torb for pain management, and to monitor closely for the next 24 hours. He gave an initial injection, which seemed to quiet Bassy quite a bit, and another subcue. Gave me a liquid suspension of Torb to take home and administer every 12 hours.

I'm confused about the dosing, though. It seems a little low. Can someone double-check this for me?

Bassy weighs just over 1kg. Dr. J has set the dosage at .2cc. The concentration on the bottle says "5mg/2cc." This would obviously be 2.5/1cc. So here is my calculation:

What he should be getting, based on dose calculator:
2mg/kg (standard dose) x 1kg (weight) / 2.5mg/kg (concentration) = .8

What he's actually getting:
.2cc (prescribed dose) x 2.5 (concentration) / 1kg (weight) = .5

Also, medication pages also say 4q, but Dr. J is going with 12q.

Thanks.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:50 pm

Actually, looking at my calculations above, I think I'm totally off. The "recommended dose" is .8, but what he's ACTUALLY getting is .2cc's.

The .5 that I got when reverse-calculating it, would tell me how much he's getting -- not what dose.

That seems like quite a difference between .2cc and .8cc. Not familiar with Torb to know if a lower dose is indicated for this type of pain (vs., say, surgery), but that seems like an awfully small amount.