Allergies

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:20 am

Ah sorry - I missed that he was on enalapril!

I'm not familiar with the dosing of this drug. If you can I'd get him switched to lotensin - it's a newer generation of ACE inhibitor and gentler on the kidneys.

Once I have my pigs on a max dose of lotensin, if they hoot then I give them lasix - and up the amount as needed.

If you're still seeing fluid in the lungs it's possible that the ACE inhibitor dosage needs adjusting upwards. However, I've had a couple of pigs that have had to be on lotensin for a year or two before the lasix was able to be cut out.

I can't help with the baytril dosage, because the amount in ccs doesn't tell how many mgs he's getting.

moodysmom

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:51 pm

Well, it has been a tough week. Moody started to go down fast, then inexplicably he made a turn around on Thursday. His wheeze has almost disappeared, but he is very thin. Any suggestions on how to fatten him up quickly?

Mum, thanks for all of your advice and help. I am not sure if it was a URI or heart problem, all I know is he is finally breathing easy. Now to get this piggy eating again....

FYI, Moody must have licked me a hundred times Friday morning. I think he realized that I have been trying to help him.

Kermie831

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:39 am

My Oreo is on 0.625 of enalapril (a 2.5mg tab quartered) daily. He gets lasix as needed.

He is also miserably skinny, but he does well with Critical care / Pellet mush twice a day. He is under 1 kilo (knock on wood) but has been holding there, give or take an ounce for a few months now.

Unfortunately there are not really high calorie supplements for pigs like there are for humans.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:20 am

I use to feed my heart pig rolled oats to fatten her up when she was running thin. Problem is, the others all wanted them too! Not a good thing to feed all the time, but it will put some weight on them.

Tubbit was on enalapril also and I just used the Lasix as needed. She really didn't need it that often as long as I didn't forget the Enalapril. She had many happy years thanks to all the help here and those two drugs!

I still miss her.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:38 am

If a thin pig is in a cage alone it's must easier - you can throw all the veggies at them they can eat, such as carrots, small pieces of banana, corn (raw), and small amounts of oats mixed in with critical care.

moodysmom

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:33 pm

I have been handfeeding him with pellet mush for several days. He is eating hay and veggies well, but he was not touching his pellets for several days. Now that I am giving him it in mush, he is eating it up. Adding oats sounds like a good suggestion.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Just be aware of something I've learned from experience: if you handfeed a pig with teeth issues, then they don't grind those teeth down as quickly.

I recently had handfed a pig for some weeks, and during that time I had to have her front incisor (missing one) ground down several times. Now that she's eating by herself she can keep it ground down a little better.

moodysmom

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:34 pm

Had his teeth trimmed. The pet store recommended feeding nutri-cal for extra calories, but I am trepadacious. Any experience there?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:51 pm

No Nutri-Cal. It's for dogs and cats, and it's full of oils and sugars. As with most pet store recommendations, it's pure crap.

Critical Care is your best bet, along with Mum's suggestions, for extra calories.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:35 pm

Ditto Talishan. Nutrical is totally inappropriate for guinea pigs (can also cause problems due to an overdose of fat soluble vitamins).

moodysmom

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:08 pm

Thanks for confirming that. It just didn't ring right. He is doing well with pellet mush and oats (just a pinch), and he continues to eat hay (and enjoyed parsley this am). Still, I feel like it will be a long road to recovery.

moodysmom

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:04 am

I believe moody is now out of hte woods, but he is reluctant to eat pellets on his own now. He is still under drinking, but is able to drink from the water bottle. He seems to enjoy drinking from the syringe (perhaps because it takes less effort?). It reminds me of a baby who has nursed, but once being introduced to a bottle realizes that food is easier that way.

Is there a way to wean him from pellet mush effectively? He is chowing on his hay and any treats, but he will still go to his pellet bowl, sit at it as if he is going to eat and then turn away.