Elsie's ugly teeth

rshevin

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:49 pm

Most likely it'd be opened with a tiny sterile puncture/incision but I'd be afraid to do it too.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:09 pm

It's not hot but it is tender. I just pulled a scab off and was able to get more puss and blood out. Now it looks like a big gash in the bottom of her paw. I made her soak it in the Betadine and I put antibiotic cream on it.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:14 pm

Is it her toe itself that is swollen? Or is it between the toes? Maybe most importantly, is there still a scab, hole, or healing area where you were able to remove the major amount of pus the first time?

We have a couple of seniors that do not, repeat do not, handle trips to the vet well. One gets something analogous to a human panic attack. The vet has told us not to bring her in if we can help it (and the vet will help me over the phone, over email etc. if possible).

If Elsie's like that ... and at 7 years 5 months I wouldn't blame her ... I'd try to avoid the trip, but not, of course, at the risk of endangering her health.

If you have more guts than me:

Try making a warm (as warm as she'll tolerate it, but of course don't burn her) solution of water and Epsom salt. Sterilize a small needle. Put her foot in the warm water and Epsom solution. You want two things to happen: one, for as much of the infection and pus to draw up and out as possible, and two, for the warmth to encourage her circulation and thus fluids moving up and out (like Mum's vet does to obtain blood through a toenail overclip; you warm the foot first).

If you can find a clear, clean place to place the needle ... that is, an obvious, hopefully straightforward point of entry ... then draw her foot out of the solution, dry it, and try to lance it. I personally wouldn't try this if there was any question as to where to stick; that is, a generalized swollen, infected toe with no clear good place to lance.

If you can find a place, and lance it, and drain it, then thoroughly cleanse with your Betadine solution. (I think chlorhex would be better, but it is extremely drying.) If all this works, then treat it like an abscess ... keep it open, soaked, and flushed until it heals up from the inside.

Caveat: I'm suggesting you do something I very seriously doubt I could do myself. If you have a good relationship with your vet and he is understanding of Elsie's age and emotions, talk this through with him or her and see what s/he thinks.

In any event I'd keep her on the Bactrim for 14 days minimum unless she's having a problem with it.

Edit: well, all that is moot, but I think it's a good thing you were able to locate a scab, pull it, and clean the infection out.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:25 pm

Thanks Talishan. You are very kind to walk with me through all this. Emotionally I am spent. I come home from work each day and nurse her all night long...between meds and handfeeding and cleaning the cage I am worn out. She amazes me though how she continues to survive. On one hand I am so grateful she has lived so long but there seems to be one problem after another. She is handling it well though...better than me!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:48 pm

We can all see how fond you are of her. She's been a part of your life for a long time.

I think the absolute toughest part of having pets is managing illnesses. The feeling of not really knowing what is causing the problem and if one is taking the best course is very hard on us.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:40 pm

I'm so sorry about Elsie's continued challenges.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:00 pm

Thanks guys for your support and understanding. This morning I found a blister on the side of her foot that I was able to open and drain. She seemed to be able to walk better. It's day by day with her. I am amazed at her will to live and how she seems to ignore her own health issues.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:36 am

Elsie is now very very weak. She can hardly walk and must be hand fed critical care. I had to remove Annabelle from the cage because she knocked Elsie over and she couldn't right herself.

I feel it's a matter of time before she leaves us. I want her to go to sleep forever now. I don't want a vet to have to help her move on. She's not in pain so I pray she goes soon on her own. I will leave work early today to be with her.

Topaz

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:12 am

Oh, I'm so sorry GP Lover. Love on that girl.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:04 am

Oh dear - I'm so very sorry. I know how much you love that little girl.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:39 pm

She's gone. I held her for two hrs but she didn't go on her own. I stayed with her while the vet gave her gas to fall asleep and then she didn't feel the needle. She's buried behind my place where I can see her from my deck.

MuffinFace

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:43 pm

I'm so sorry, GP Lover. You did all you could (you are an amazing mommy) - but hey, she's over the bridge and into the endless parsley fields! And I'll bet she can popcorn again.