Bordetella - URGENT

GetShelly
I give

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:47 pm

Lynx, permission to start another thread. I thought maybe the memorial thread for Tiffany might get ignored.

Tiffany passed away Monday and has been necropsied. Some results are still out for culture, but the initial finding is Pneumonia and Bordetella. She crashed so quickly that this makes sense, but now I'm scared to death for the others.

I have sterilized the cage, thrown water bottles away, pellet dishes, etc., and replaced.

Mo and Molly show no signs right now. What do I put them on? What more do I do? And how on earth did Tiffany get this? We have no children and no other pets, and very few visitors.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:50 pm

Do any of your neighbors have dogs, particularly NEW dogs? Had you been to the vet recently? Visited a shelter or pet store that allows dogs? You could have carried the virus in from any of these types of situations.

GetShelly
I give

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:58 pm

I go to Petsmart sometimes to get bedding. But, I haven't been in a while. How long are we talking?

No neighbors with new dogs, and we're not very social with our neighbors anyway.

Last time Tiffany went to the vet was February when Bethany died. Bethany died of kidney failure.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:06 pm

I don't know how long the virus can survive outside the body. I'll see if I can look that up. It doesn't matter so much if you're friendly with your neighbors as much as if their dogs are walking through areas where you also walk, sidewalks, yards, etc.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:11 pm

I think the consesus here is if the pig has it, they show obvious signs fairly quickly?

In rabbits, pasturella is common and they can be a carrier and not show symptoms. Not sure if it can be the same with pigs.

GetShelly
I give

Rshevin, I guess that is always possible.

We do see wild rabbits outside from time to time. I never attempt to touch them. We are at the edge of town, so nearby there are deer, raccoons, rabbits, etc.
Last edited by GetShelly on Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jennicat

I wonder if some pigs may not carry bordetella in the same way that rabbits carry pasturella around.

My Gizmo came home from the pet store with bordetella, and was sick and handfed/on various runs of antibiotics for several months. We did a snot culture and he had a strain resistant to baytril.

The pig he was living with was never ill from it, and is still in good health, even after Giz recently passed from pneumonia (possibly a bordetella flareup, but he was sick and gone before there was a chance to do a culture). Again, none of the pigs I own showed any signs of illness.

GetShelly
I give

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:27 pm

I have so many what if's going through my head right now. I can't save Tiffany, but I want to save Molly and Mo if I can. So far they are okay.

Interesting about Mr. Gizmo. Tiffany was born at my house and was nearly 5, and a picture of good health to the human eye. No prolonged anything with her.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:34 pm

Yes, not to scare you but pinta has mentioned it wiping out a herd in a very short time. I would email her to be honest. The fact that your others don't show signs is very good and I think you did the right thing throwing stuff away and sterilizing. I have no idea how she could have gotten it. Maybe it lies dormant until a primary illness occurs? I'm so sorry about Tiffany.

Baba

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:52 pm

My Mimi is carrying the Bortedella Virus and I had lost (before I found out) quite some piggies. As Mimi is still alive (and in the blessed age of 6 1/2 years now) any new piggie is getting vaccinated.

Since all my new rescue pigsters get the vaccination I never ever had any death due to Bortedella again.

If interested I can give more detailed informations.

GetShelly
I give

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:53 pm

Baba, please do. I'm a complete newbie to this condition. I thought vaccinations were dangerous, because they create a mild form of bordetella, and perhaps senior guinea pigs, like my own would be at risk.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:09 pm

Vaccinations for pigs are not usually recommended.