Bordetella - URGENT

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm

Ditto on emailing Pinta, and perhaps Josephine, right away.

I've not heard of vaccinating guinea pigs against bordatella.

Incidentally, how did they diagnose the pneumonia? Was it just from fluid in her lungs? Or did they diagnose it from some sort of culture?

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:30 pm

I seem to recall reading that there was a pig specific bordetella vaccine, but that it was mucho dinero since it wasn't commonly made and pig owners usually didn't do it.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... accination

The page sited there states that there is a vaccination for guinea pigs for bordetella, but that vaccinated pigs then become carriers, which suggests that a benign infection may be possible?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:31 pm

Her pigs have already been exposed anyway.

GetShelly
I give

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:36 pm

Mum, from the best of my understanding, there was fluid in her lungs. But, the did also say they weren't done with their findings as they have sent tissues for further testing.

It's very hard to talk to these folks, you end up talking to a person answering the phone who is reading from a report. I have a call into Dr. Ragsdale in the diagnostic department. He supervised the case.

I emailed Pinta.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:40 pm

I was asking, because heart pigs so often have fluid in the lungs. She showed no signs of pneumonia that you were aware of - usually pigs with pneumonia are very, very sick - and they show it.

GetShelly
I give

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:45 pm

They did not comment on an enlarged heart. They did say she had age-related liver and kidney enlargement.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:50 pm

There can be other things wrong with the heart other than enlargement of course.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:56 pm

It sounds as though the vet was guessing.

Keep in mind most illnesses are the greatest threat to a guinea pig with a weakened (for whatever reason) immune system. I'm glad you're getting more information to determine what the bacteria is.

I'm going to move your other thread to Cavy Chat since this will be the medical one.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:00 pm

getshelly, I just did a search of bordetella with pinta as the author (posts not topics) and a lot of stuff came up if you want to read about it.

pinta

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:11 pm

I asked my vet about Bordetella vaccinations and she felt since Bordetella just hadn't been an issue in our area it wasn't worth the cost with the amount of pigs we have. I can't remember if she felt there was any risk involved with a vaccination or whether there was any guarantee that it would work.

If you have a definite diagnosis of Bordetella, ask if they know what ABs would work best for that strain and if they don't know, I would suggest putting the other pigs on a preventative course of trimethoprim/sulfa(30-50mg/kg q12h) or baytril(5-10mg/kg q12h) - Hillyer and Quesenberry. H&Q didn't mention how long a course. Doxy might also work but it isn't mentioned in Hillyer and Quesenberry probably because at the time of print of my book, it wasn't commonly used with pigs. A drug sensitivity culture would remove the guesswork.

Up their vitamin C as though they were ill (50-100mg/kg)and make sure they stay hydrated. Handfeed at the first sign of weight loss.

Since Bordetella is so serious it makes sense to treat known exposed pigs as though they have it if the ABs can be well tolerated.

GetShelly
I give

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:35 pm

I just went to my general vet and got the Baytril from him. Mo gets 7.5 ML and Molly gets 5 ML, twice daily, based on weight. I will up their Vitamin C too, good idea.

As far as vaccinations, my general vet, who knows a little about exotics, but is not up on everything, didn't know much about the bordetella vaccine for cavies. He said KSU (Kansas State University Teaching Hospital) might know, but didn't know if it would be worth the risk, now that they have both been exposed.

I guess I just have to take it one step at a time. Does me no good to panic. I need to stay well in case I have to care for them.

pinta

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:57 pm

If they have trouble with the Baytril, at least you can switch to the sulfa. Chlor is also mentioned but I wouldn't use that as a preventative. I'd only use it if I had to.