Allergies

rshevin

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:16 pm

I offered pellets mixed in with critical care on a plate. There was the appetizing smell of the critical care with a little extra texture underneath. What size water bottle do you use? You can offer several small sizes instead of 1 large and also make sure you don't have a spring loaded bottle. They can be a lot harder to manipulate.

moodysmom

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:06 am

Okay, so Moody finishes his baytril today, but his wheeze has returned. His weight is stable at around 2 lbs 4 oz (although he still feels skinny and weak).

He continues on his dosage of .11mL twice daily of lasix (50mg/cc) and .25 cc twice daily of enalapril (a 2.5 mg tablet diluted in 1cc of water).

As you may recall, his wheezing, which has been a problem since May, stopped altogether after 5 days on Baytril. On the 21st day of baytril it has returned. His original set of x-rays in May showed a possible enlarged heart and clear lungs. His second set of x-rays beginning of August were inconclusive - there may have been some beginnings of water on the lungs, but it wasn't a very clear indication - the heart looked good.

Options? Opinions? I do note that he has returned to eating more timothy hay pellets. Actual Timothy hay has bothered him in the past - we now use orchard grass hay. Are there other pellet options than timothy hay (I won't use alfalfa after losing a rescue pig to a bladder stone probably caused by alfalfa pellets and other poor diets).

Is there another antibiotic? What happens when a pig is on baytril too long?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:36 am

If you want to rule out fluid in lungs as a cause of the wheezing, you could get another xray. Might also tell you how things are looking with the heart medications. You could also discuss adjusting the heart meds with your vet.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:37 am

finishes his baytril today, but his wheeze has returned.
Ditto on getting another xray. You may need to adjust the heart meds. Are you sure the lasix is 50mg/cc? If so, he's already getting 5mg/twice daily, which is a high dose.

I don't use enalapril, so I can't tell much about the dosage - but you might see if your vet will switch to lotensin, which is a newer and better drug (easier on the kidneys).

moodysmom

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:03 pm

We upped the lasix with the last vet visit. Yes, that is the dosage. The vet said the enalapril was already at the maximum dosage.

I contacted the vet. We will try to do a follow up today. I'll let you know.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:57 pm

"What happens when a pig is on baytril too long?"

Our old vet did not want any pig on Baytril over a month. We had one with an oral abscess that Baytril would contain, but not cure.

Without reading back, have you considered a Baytril/Doxy combo?

moodysmom

Post   » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:36 pm

Well, we are back on baytril. After 2 doses, the wheeze is gone again. The vet wants to keep in touch and do regular follow ups to chart his progression against the URI. I will ask him about the baytril/doxy combo.

Thanks.

moodysmom

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Update:

Moody is wheezy again, but he is eating a ton of pellets again and drinking well. I find the first frustrating (poor little guy) and the latter encouraging. I know he is on the maximum dosage for his heart meds and he is on baytril, so the only thing I can think of is to ask the vet to try a combo anti-biotic (or change it).

Will blood tests indicate whether he still has a URI? Is there any other test (x-rays have not been definitive)?

What impact does exercise have on heart conditions? Is it recommended or should it be avoided?

Has anyone else had a chronically wheezy pig and how long has he/she lived?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:28 pm

I'd get an xray of his heart again to see if there's fluid in his lungs.

If there isn't, then you can see if it's because the trachea is being squished by a large heart - this can sometimes account for wheezing.

That said, there's a recent thread where somebody had very successfully used beta blockers in combo with ace inhibitors:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... rt#1139318

I was just saying to somebody that I've never actually had a wheezie pig with anything other than a heart issue - and I've had many. URIs generally show other symptoms.

I'd let him exercise on his own terms - if he's short of breath, then he won't want to do too much (rather like a person with a bad heart).

moodysmom

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks for the thread. That was fascinating. My father is a research physiologist with lots of experience with beta blockers. I think I will run this by him before talking to the vet.

moodysmom

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:45 pm

Update - we finally "cured" moody last November after months of x-rays, anti-biotics, heart meds. Seems that there was a tiny bit of plastic lodged in the far back of his mouth that was difficult to see and did not show on x-rays, which caused his wheezing, failure to eat properly, and repeated infections. Once it was removed and the infection cured, he has not had a recurrence. He has gained weight and is active. There is no longer a wheeze and he is incredibly healthy. This is after nearly losing him twice.

The lesson may be to keep trying to find what ails your pig. It may not be the obvious.

A very happy Moody'smom.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:56 pm

Great news. Congratulations on your persistance.