Bordetella - URGENT

whittibo

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:14 pm

I am so sorry you didn't get any firm answers, but glad it's not Bordatella! Again, so sorry for your loss.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:35 pm

I was wondering if the gas might be post mortem also.

I am sorry you didn't get as much helpful information as you hoped you would but glad it did not turn out to be bordetella.

GetShelly
I give

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:57 pm

I guess I'm relieved and frustrated all in the same breath. More relieved, though.

Would you guys continue with the AB's for Molly and Mo?

rshevin

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:28 pm

If they're tolerating them well, I'd continue the full course. If they stop eating or become lethargic, re-evaluate at that point.

klynne

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:24 am

Yes, since you've started--finish the course. Clearly, there was some sort of finding of bacteria, even if type can't be pinned down.

Hopefully, the ab's will help keep them healthy.

A GI issue does make more sense to me in a sudden, hours-long only decline, as you described.

A respiratory illness would give a bit more time for observant caregivers like you to react--GI things they can go into shock and die very suddenly.

The "bloat" itself may have been post-mortem, but that doesn't mean she wasn't shutting down/producing toxins in her GI tract beforehand.

I agree on necropsies often being very frustrating.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:32 am

I am having vague memories of Dr. Swenson at KSU saying that they usually can't get bacteria extracted during a necropsy to grow because...the body has already been preserved?

I'm sorry you lost your pig. I am hoping the rest of your herd is safe. Kennel cough swooped through Emporia a couple of years ago, and our vet here said that it spread really easily and quickly.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:18 am

I'd continue the abs. A year ago, something killed half of my heard. TO this day, I have no idea what that thing was. All of the pigs were sudden, and the end very different. One of them, blew up like a balloon, the others did not. My 2 survivors were put on Doxy, and they are still here today.

pinta

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:00 am

Exactly what were the symptoms and did they send the heart tissues out to the lab?

A real relief it wasn't Bordetella.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:39 am

Maybe she had something very subtle to see like interstitial pneumonia?

Cuddles appeared fine and symptomless until her lung blew out, and she died just over 12 hours later. They didn't know what happened with her, either, just that she had inflammation in her lung, one had blown out, and the other was full of fluid, but that was probably from the stress of having one lung.

GetShelly
I give

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:19 am

About six hours before she died, she appeared a little sluggish, and not quite herself, but she did eat some cucumber and hay. 6 hours later when I came to see them in the morning, her sides were heaving in and out, and she was obviously in some kind of respiratory distress, although what I may have been seeing is the "death gasps" I have read about on this board. Minutes later she was gone.

I do not know how many of those hours she had the labored breathing or if there were any other symptoms during that time, I was asleep. She had not lost weight, no crusty eyes or nose, no hardness to her belly, squishy like it should be. My husband remarked how healthy she looked when he viewed her body after she passed. It just didn't make sense.

Sadly, I don't think they were as thorough as I would have liked on the necropsy, and now it is too late. I will get a report next week, but from what the doctor remembered, it didn't sound like any tissues were taken even though I said to do whatever it takes.

I am continuing with the AB's for the others.

pinta

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:40 am

I've lost a pig that suddenly to torsion(?)(true bloat). She just slowed down and was decidedly not right.

A heart attack could kill a pig that fast. I wish vets would be sure before they declare a diagnosis.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:20 pm

I have had no luck at all with necropsies and I've had four done. I don't know if I will do another. Perhaps if my vets did as good a job as some necropsies I've seen posted here, but they don't. Very frustrating to pay that kind of money and not get any real answers. The first 'may' have shown pyometra. The second was 'perhaps a heart attack'. The third and fourth were completely unknown causes of death (the third was probably sepsis based on her illness prior and the fourth was, in my humble opinion, vet error pre-op when he tried unsuccessfully to intubate a 6 month old sow prior to her spay). I am sorry you are going through this. I hope your remaining pigs stay healthy.