Guinea Pigs need our help!

rachelm

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:13 pm

Pig headedness. She doesn't have a clue. She doesn't want to have a clue. She cannot face the truth because it is more convenient for her to believe the inaccuracies. Stupid woman.

MotaroRIP

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:15 pm

They actually replied to my petition.

Dear James,

We greatly appreciate your reply regarding our upcoming Hamster Ball Derby and Critter Run. As a result of your concerns, we have again discussed this matter with our chief veterinarian and other key individuals in our Animal Care Department, along with those who originally created the program.

While you may disagree, we have concluded that when companion animals (including chinchillas and guinea pigs) and pet parents follow our prescribed training and safety rules, we should have no problems. Pet owners know best what their pets are interested in and capable of doing. Therefore, that individual knowledge will drive decisions to participate.

Our chief veterinarian owns both chinchillas and guinea pigs. He reports that his animals spend quite a bit of time in appropriately sized hamster balls with absolutely no ill effects whatsoever. It is made sure that each animal has plenty of flexibility to walk around in a large ball. Please also keep in mind that:

Participants clearly see their pets as part of their family and enjoy these
competitions as another way to bond with their animals. Diligent pet parent care

at these events is very evident in that with multiple events and thousands of

participants, we have never had a single reported health or safety incident to date.

Following many hamster ball derby events with no incidents customers requested
that we allow other animals to participate.

We have conducted national Hamster Ball Derbys several times without a single
health or safety incident. Last March, more than 12,000 hamsters raced at

stores nationwide with no reports of health risks or problems with both participating animals or pet parents.

We recognize and appreciate your perspective a great deal. Based on our experience and the recommended training and safety precautions we have put in place for this event, we plan to allow chinchillas and guinea pigs to compete in the races.

Thank you again for your concern.

Sincerely,

Bonnie M.
Customer Relations Coordinator

At PETCO, Animals Always Come First... Our People Make it Happen!

So I think this is going to happen, nothing good is going to come of this. As a matter of fact, I'm certain this is going to have a negative backlash on them. I think that is the only good that could possibly come out of this. But how many animals are going to get hurt for them to get it?

And it took them forever to reply.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:27 pm

Form letter again, I see.

land_hermie

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:34 pm

There are many things that describe this company, smart not being one of them.

Henle15

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:33 am

I guess it will just take some good old fashioned protesting inside or outside the stores on race day. We are planning on handing out flyers and wearing shirts that tell people how bad the exercise balls are. I love the fact they still think we are worried about the hamster ball derby when in fact we are only worried about the critter run. They really must not read very well. I sent them an email that asked to give me sources of their information (beside the obvious chief vet and care team) and what type of experience the chief vet has regarding exotic animals. I am guessing he only has ever owned them and never really did any type of work in that field...well maybe he read some books back in 1980...but that's all I can think of!! Just keep pushing everybody

I have also talked to some of the managers at Petco's and they are actually discouraging people to sign their chinchillas or guinea pigs up. So basically only the higher ups want this to happen. Also another great idea for any of us to do is go to any of the petco's and look at the sign up sheet and see if anybody has signed up their chins or piggies. The information should be right out in the open so it won't be hard to find. Then call those people and explain why the balls are so bad for them and give them some sites to go look at. I think that will be the best way to really get to people that don't know the balls are bad.

land_hermie

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:14 am

Maybe we could scribble their names out, instead, because they might be one of those people who think pet stores know it all. Be careful you do not get caught doing it, though.

land_hermie

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:04 am

Does anyone have a link that says a guinea pig has actually been hurt in an exercise ball? It'd be good to give to PetCo so they KNOW they are bad.

Annie K

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:38 am

I got the same stupid form letter as well. I especially like the part about pet owners knowing what's best for their animals. That's why they're buying crappy food and little cages from them. Time for a phone call, I guess.

land_hermie

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:53 pm

Here is a video of the Hamster Derby. I expect the Critter Run to be the same way:

Extremely noisy. :(

EDIT:

My video on the Critter Run:

averyl

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:55 pm

I contacted them and got the same form email, too.

land_hermie

Post   » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:11 am

I just printed out the flier. I will put it in a bathroom stall at school.

mags
Glad to Support

Post   » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:09 am

This is so sad and frustrating. I have the flier. Plan to take several to our local Petco this weekend in case this is going on there too. My hope is that they'll have a harder time saying no to us in person than in an email/phone call. :(