Rosie is Limping

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:45 pm

Without looking back, have you considered hormone therapy for her? (Lupron, Cystorelin)

Trick

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:25 pm

Thanks guys, I will keep you all updated.

Talishan - we talked through hormone therapy but given she is only a year old and the stress the behaviour is putting on her heart already we opted for the spay. If she was older I would probably go that route with her being a heart pig but at her age a spay is the better option. I don't want her to have to deal with this forever, not on top of her heart.

I just hope this is the right thing to do... she seems so unhappy right now, I'm just sick with worry.

Trick

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:36 pm

I'm kind of freaking out a bit now - should I go for hormone treatment instead?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:20 pm

If you and your vet discussed it, don't freak. You could ask him about it again if you wanted to, and express your concerns about her heart condition. See what the vet says, and see how you feel about what the vet says, and how he says it, but the train of thought expressed in your second paragraph above covers it.

For some reason I thought she was older than a year.

To be as comfortable as you can be, run it past the vet again. If you come to the same conclusion you have already reached, then you have done the best you can, and made the best decisions you could.

Our heart pig goes into pulmonary edema if sedated, caused by what our vet calls 'decompensation' (if I'm remembering right). That is, when the pig is normally active, the heart and lungs clear fluid properly. When sedated, the heart and lungs slow and 'decompensate' -- they're not working to clear fluid as well as a normal cardiopulmonary system does under sedation.

Your vet, if good, likely already knows this. Our vet will not sedate our heart pig without Lasix right at hand, as well as pre-sedation administration. "Other" than that (!), she has handled sedation just fine.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:11 pm

As I mentioned to you in the email, I've had surgery done on heart pigs with very cavy-savvy vets.

I've been lucky, but my vets have also been good.

Surgery is really the best way to handle cysts in a young pig. If your vet is good, I'd trust him on this.

All anesthesia entails a risk - for both animals and humans. But the cysts also represent a risk.

Trick

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:21 pm

Thanks for the reassurance :) I'm gonna interrogate the vet again beforehand, and my partner is reminding me of all the reasons we opted for a spay.

I just need to keep a cool head and stop panicking.

Piggielove

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:49 pm

Trick, all the very best for Rosie whatever is decided, I'll be thinking of you both.

Jackie x

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:05 pm

Trick, our heard send you two good and healing thoughts.
Hang in there.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:06 pm

Fingers crossed all goes well!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:18 pm

Good luck and best wishes tomorrow. Let us know how she's doing.

Trick

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:19 am

Thank you all for the good thoughts :)

Rosie's spay has been cancelled in favour of hormone treatment. Our new, more experienced vet felt that Rosie was not strong enough to go through a spay. He said that there was probably a greater chance of her not making it than her recovering and so it would be madness not to try the hormone treatment first. Completely the opposite of what our old vets said! But I trust this vet 100% and if he says Rosie isn't strong enough then she won't be getting spayed.

He kept Rosie for a few hours to do a proper examination of her and found no evidence to suggest that hormone treatment was not the way to go. He also found no visible cysts through ultrasound or palpation though he did say her left ovary was slightly enlarged. He is going to instruct our local vets on the hormone treatment.

We'll monitor her and hope that she responds to the treatment but if not then we have no plans to spay her unless scans or behaviour show a deterioration in her health. Even if she has to live by herself, I feel this is better than putting her through a spay she may not survive - especially when she is such a happy piggie when we lift her out and cuddle her.

I'm really relieved to have a vet I trust check her over and tell us what he would advise as the best course of action. I had a really bad feeling about getting her spayed and while that may have been nerves I feel a lot better having brought her home with me today.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:04 pm

Trick,

It sounds like you made the right decision for Rosie. I have two (well 3 counting Sundae) pigs who live alone. They seem much happier without another pig bulling them and eating their food. Frosting is older and has teeth problems so lost a lot of weight when she was housed with a younger pig. She has put on weight and no longer hides in the pigaloo. Even though Millie is spayed she doesn’t want a cagemate, either. I have tried several pigs that she didn't like. Now she seems to like having all of the attention and food. I 'm sure Rosie will do just fine and live a long happy life!