Follicular Cyst (often erroneously called Sebaceous Cyst)

Becky

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:28 pm

Very cool pictures all around!

Cotton has a cyst that looks almost identical to Snowflake's, but the "contents" are more waxy than the pictures from the link. In the linked pictures, the contents look more formed, or solid. Is that the main difference between a sebaceus cyst and folliclular cyst?

I must admit, I do squeeze Cotton's whatever about every two weeks. She very much dislikes it.

whittibo

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:43 pm

Well, isn't that interesting! And those pictures were awesome!!

katk925
Do the Dewlap in '05

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:25 pm

Okay, this may be different, but I would love any opinion on this.

I have a couple pigs, a grandma, mom, and son, who all get lumps, fairly commonly, that the vet (Dr. Ridgeway) said were "sebacious cysts" filled with sebum oil. He instructed me that they would pop on their own (which one had already) and that it was better for me to nick them open, and clean them with nolvasan, which he showed me how to do. So far this works very well, and they, once popped, heal up in about 24 hours like nothing was ever there.

I wonder, if these are not sebacious cysts, but something else, or if I am doing the wrong or right care? I will try to get a picture if I see another one on one of these pigs.

~

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:02 am

Can you get good pics? Can you describe the sebum? Is it liquidy?

Snowflake's is pasty/waxy. It looks smooth in the pic I too because I tried to scrape some out with a fingernail. It took some time for this to break the surface.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:53 pm

Closeup of area 3 days after the cap came off is included in the first post. You can see how much smaller the pore is -- but still quite prominent.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:44 am

This is an interesting thread. How can you tell the difference between most of these lumps? For example, what signs show something is a sebaceous cyst?

Peppi has a lump about the size of a dried kidney bean on his side that was diagnosed as a sebaceous cyst. It's relatively hard, and is just under the skin, under the fur and not visible on the surface. It isn't attached to his side, just inside the skin, and you can move it around and almost feel completely underneath it. Does that sound like a sebaceous cyst as opposed to another type of lump?

Incidentally, the vet felt that because of Peppi's age (we think he's 6) that we could safely leave it alone unless he messed with it or it got bigger. Unfortunately it does seem to have grown a bit bigger over the past few months, so he'll be going back in again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:04 am

I don't really think it's possible to tell just from looking what some of these lumps are. The risk with a cyst like this or a sebaceous cyst (Josephine seemed to indicate this was different -- perhaps very sore and infected like a human cyst) is infection. Look at it closely and see if it looks like some of the skin is separating from the top. I check it when I hold Snowflake. Still looks like the most recent pic -- a large, open pore.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:26 am

axlekitty's guinea pig had something similar. What you see in her pics is a more flat top (but I think it protruded a bit). She scraped off the dead skin and found the keratious material beneath. Snowflake's pics made it seem it should protrude more. The pics I took were very late stage pics (just before the skin cap fell off). This shows an earlier stage:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 342#915342

"I noticed it was a tiny bit larger. Still not the size as a normal pea, but like a baby pea size. It is a little flatter than it used to be. Now though, there appears to be a little white dot, like a white-head pimple looking thing just barely big enough to notice. It is still hard as a rock though."

figrgrl

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:49 pm

I'm just curious Lynx....there's a pig at the Agoura shelter that just recently had a cyst removed off of her back and unfortunately from her eye a while ago. The whole eye had to be removed- is there something that causes these lumps, especially in the eye? I felt so bad when I saw her. I talked to her former owner and she said the eye cyst was benign and the one on her back as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:52 pm

It sounds like they had different causes. A problem with the eye would not be a folicular cyst.

figrgrl

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:56 pm

I realize that-I guess I just haven't seen a lot of pigs with eye cysts. Bizarre...

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:45 am

I don't know if it's the same thing or not but my son had a cyst-like growth on the edge of his eyelid earlier this year that had to be removed. I asked for it to be biopsied just in case it was skin cancer since skin cancer runs in my family. It turned out to be a xanthogranuloma. Here's a pic of my son's eye with it. I wonder if that guinea pig had this. Did they do a biopsy?