Follicular Cyst (often erroneously called Sebaceous Cyst)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:52 am

A problem with the eye would not be a folicular cyst.
Unless possibly it was growing at the edge of the eye (not in the eye,).

I don't know of any terrific veterinary surgeons in that area - it's quite possible it was misdiagnosed.

I have one elderly pig here that's very prone to cysts. It's a very minor thing to have them lansed and squeezed out - at least in her case.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:19 am

If the whole eye had to be removed it is unlikely it was near the eye and more likely it was on the eye itself and is quite unlikely to be a folicular cyst.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:48 am

That's why I had suggested a xanthogranuloma because that can occur near the eye or in/on the eye itself. I just don't know if guinea pigs can get that or not. Plus the only way to tell the difference between a cyst and a xanthogranuloma is through a biopsy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:57 am

Missed that, momof911kids. Guess I was responding to Mum who brought up the follicular cyst theory again -- which is fine but not in this case.

figrgrl

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:10 pm

It's my understanding after talking to the previous owner that the cyst was actually ON the eye. I appreciate all of your feedback on this.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:19 pm

Did the previous owner get a biopsy on the removed eye? Even if it looked like a cyst, chances are it was something else.

figrgrl

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:58 am

In talking to her I don't recall whether it was biopsied or not. I know with all of my pets (dogs, cats, etc.) it was standard to have it sent out and tested. I can find out though-I do know that the cyst removed from her back was benign. I know, it's a shame to think it could have been removed for no reason. I'll let you know.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:20 pm

My boys each had a couple of what the vet called "sebaceous cysts" this weekend. The vet said they would most likely fill back up eventually or new ones would form. I asked if I should be popping them and she said "Not unless you want to do it with a sterile hypodermic needle!"

At the moment I was like "Gah, that's silly, I would never do THAT!" But now it occurs to me that I probably COULD. And it would save the expense of a vet visit. She had these neat little needles in individual cap-things and it looks like they're available for purchase on vet websites.

Does anybody routinely lance their pigs' cysts? and if I were to want to do so, what size needle would I want?

also, has there been any thought about the correlation between these cysts and bathing? Both my boys are rather oilier and flakier than my girls (one's a teddy/mix and one's a texel) and I wonder if I haven't been bathing them enough.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Will be interesting to see if anyone does.

Delaine
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:46 pm

Abbey has had a sebaceous cyst for well over a year. It is on her hip. It is about the size of a marble and hasn't changed. The odd time it will leak a little but her vet said she thinks it is a little smaller than when she first diagnosed it so for now we are going to leave it.

Abbey's cyst is very round and smooth with no skin flap on top. My poodle had many, many sebaceous cysts removed and they were also very smooth and round. I have never seen one with a flap of skin.

I was told not to squeeze it by her vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:57 am

I think the cyst Snowflake had was not infected.