Diarrhea + fit

charandmin

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 12:12 pm

This is for Charybdis.

Meg a Monterey Sow, recently urinated on a navy blue towel and it turned her butt blue (Monday). The blue wouldn't wash off. Then she started to get diarhea (Tuesday). Her adopter gave her a little kao and a poop slush.

The diarhea got worse. She started biting and attacking her adopter today when she picked her up this morning. When the adopter put her down in the cage she started rolling around like she was on fire.

She's on the way to the vet now with Chary and she's puffed up and cold. Chary thinks it might be poisoning. Should reglan? She still has diarrhea.

charandmin

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 12:32 pm

Update. The urine is rust colored and there appears to be black stuff coming from her vagina. She's cold.

She recently had crystals in her urine a while ago. Josephine thought the crystal count wasn't high and the culture was negative for bacteria.

The vet's (unfortunately not the usual vet) seeing her now.

lisam

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 12:38 pm

Poor girl! I hope they are able to save her.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 1:13 pm

Glad they got her to a vet. It sounds like she's suffering from some sort of shock. She needs fluids (IV if possible or even IP), steroids (injection of Dex or similar), and possibly O2 and heating.

I'm so sorry. She could have gotten a toxin of some sort. It sounds like the quick enterotoxemia I've had with a few of my pigs. Unfortunately, the survival rate is not great if you can't get them stabilized first. The steroids and O2 will help if it's heart-related. She may need some Lasix, too. No Reglan since she has diarrhea. Some Kaopectate may help for the diarrhea, but you need the steroids and fluids first.

Good luck. I hope she makes it. I am definitely concerned.

charandmin

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 1:21 pm

I called Chary and told her what Josephine said, luckily she's still at the vet.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 2:10 pm

When it rains, it pours.........

Poor Chary and Meg. I've had some sucess with hydration and steroids with seizing and shocky pigs. The abused Monterey pigs with severe mites came around with that treatment.

The seizing is terrifying to watch. It scared the *&^%%$# out of me. Her owner must be in shock as well.

I hope the Dr. can offer some help and comfort to both Meg, Chary and her adoptive owner regardless of how this plays out.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 2:44 pm

X rays did not show any stones, just a little mineral density which the vet thinks is in the rectum and not the urethra.

She has been given an injection of Dex, some simethicone, 20cc of LRS + B, and an injection of Baytril.

Here are the rads:

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 2:50 pm

second view. The white spot between the pelvis is artifact. The mineral cluster is below it.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 2:50 pm

She is also bloated, as is obvious from the rads. So Reglan is still out of the question? I shouldn't give her kao, right?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 3:58 pm

Is she still having diarrhea? It can be given with diarrhea, but it generally can make it worse. The karo syrup can also worsen diarrhea. Kaopectate (0.1 cc) may help stop the diarrhea. I would go with a pellet/Critical Care slurry and possibly some juice. That will help with energy and such if she isn't eating.

That calcification is bizarre. He's sure it isn't in the urethra? Maybe it should be biopsied, then? Does the vet think it's metastic calcification? Usually you seen changes in the bones with that.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 4:10 pm

I don't see anything at all coming out of her anus. She is still urinating blood, though.

Her abdomen does not feel distended to me but I suppose she could still be bloated. Perhaps kao is not the best thing to give right now.

Should I be feeding her if she is bloated? How will I know when she is no longer bloated?

When should I give her the next SQ?

The vet isn't sure that the object is not in the urethra, but he thinks it is not. He mentioned a probe but she is far too sick right now for that.

Josephine, many thanks for your advice on the Dex. I had turned it down because I didn't know if it would harm her (I don't know this vet), and was about to walk out of the vet's office when Charandmin called me about your post.

I just don't know what else to do for her.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 4:24 pm

Supportive care and wait.

She should have another SQ tonight (I'd even give 30 cc) and more Dex if she's still so poorly. Yes, Dex is a wonder drug in emergencies and serious situations. Do you happen to know how much was given? She can get up to 0.6 mg, If I remember correctly. If it was plain Dex, the concentration is usually 2 mg/ml.

I'd force feed. If she isn't having diarrhea, give her the Reglan.

I'm still suspecting UTI/stone problems from what you describe. She could have collapsed from the stress or ??? I don't see a bladder (on the xrays) and she is urinating, so I don't think there is a urinary blockage.