Diarrhea + fit

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 4:32 pm

Actually, I found a dose in Carpenter's that says up to 4-5 mg/kg for shock (any route, IM, IV, SQ, IP) on the Dex.

I've always given a more conservative dose of 0.6 mg/kg every 12 hours as needed for stabilization. If you need to give it more than a couple times, she'll need to be put on a titrating dosage (decreasing the dose every day or so for at least 3 days). We'll see. Right now she is at a critical stage.

All you can do is supportive care, medicate, and see how she responds to treatment.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 4:55 pm

Called the vet and couldn't find out the dosage of the Dex--the techs couldn't read the vet's handwriting. They'll let me know later.

She is moving around a little bit and has given me a couple of head butts.

I will force feed her and give Reglan.

The vet was worried that the Reglan could cause painful abdominal contractions. Thoughts on this?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 6:15 pm

I haven't heard of that. Usually the contractions are what we want to move thnigs along. She does have the dex on board. If the Reglan did cause some sort of discomfort, the dex should help counteract that.

Can't read the vet's handwriting? Happens all the time to me. In fact one vet holds me accountable for missing things written in his small, sloppy script. It is not in my character to do such things since I am so meticulous. This one Dr. can't even read his own handwriting at times!

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 6:22 pm

They gave her .4mg. The vet is adamant about the reglan because he is not sure what kind of blockage it is. He insisted that I give her 1cc of Mylanta.

She is begrudgingly taking the CC and pedialyte from a syringe and head-butting me occasionally although still pretty weak.

Her adopter doesn't want her anymore.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 6:28 pm

Poor Meg.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 6:37 pm

Yes, Poor Meg. She has been adopted twice and returned.

kiminca

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 6:39 pm

Oh, she's so cute! I remember her picture on the web page. I wish I could take her. Good luck in finding a home for her.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 6:51 pm

I doubt she will be going anywhere soon.

Does anyone know when I should become alarmed that she is not urinating?

She peed on Cynthia 3 hours ago but nothing since. Strange because she has had 20ml of LRS and 10ml of Pedialyte.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 7:50 pm

Finally she peed. There is bright red blood in it.

charandmin

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 8:02 pm

Maybe the minerals/crystals are irritating the urinary tract and causing the blood and maybe a partial blockage that still allows some urine through.

I don't really know anything I'm just trying to think of stuff.

melcvt00

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 9:07 pm

Ya know, I wish I had the abilities to scan x-rays like that. :)

Has she pooped at all? If she has, I would be interested in seeing recheck x-rays to see if that mineralization is still there. If it was in the rectum (unless it was completely embedded in tissue), it should move out with pooping.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed May 28, 2003 9:10 pm

That actually makes a little bit of sense. The vet did not think that the object was in the urethra because she is still able to urinate. But what if it is a stone and he's just not adept at analyzing it?